1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"The Interactive Whiteboard Revolution Continues Apace"

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by McDiploma, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Yeh, whatever. Had to laugh at this one.
    http://www.bettshow.com/bett11/website/Default.aspx?refer=101
    "The Interactive Whiteboard Revolution Continues Apace"
    Bo llox, if my experience is anything to go by. I rarely have time to use it for anything except showing the odd video and listening to the radio in class. It's interesting to see that they are still being heavily plugged as education's saviour, without the slightest regard for the practical limitations, such as no teacher having time to look at or develop or indeed use pre-made resources. I always find it so much quicker and far more effective to use traditional teaching methods to teach material.

2. We have whiteboards in nearly every classroom in our school and have had them for about 5 or 6 years. They are always paraded when there is a parents evening or opening evening. They are highlighted in the prospectus, when we have important visitors and when the newspapaers come in to school for any reason.
    However, the truth is that they are hardly ever used by anyone for anything more than showing the odd video. No one likes the time it takes to switch them on and get set up when they go to a new room, whilst trying to also take a slow online regsiter and getting the class settled for work. Few except keen NQTs have got the time to make resources, and even the NQTs seem to only produce Powerpoint presentations. No one ever buys resources that are already made because a) they are nearly always dross and b) no one has the time to evaluate them properly - and they all need thorough evaluation as there is so much rubbish out there. There used to be training for using whiteboards when they were first installed (albeit only a lunchtime or afterschool session in your own time at our school) but even that disappeared after the first year. Now, any new teacher to the school has zero training, none, and therefore never or very rarely uses it. The next problem is that in recent years, we have lost any extra free time we had during the working week over and above the 10% of the timetable. That means that we all have less time to do anything, and interactive whiteboard planning is very much last on the list of jobs that need to be done. I am also sad that the laptops we were given about 5 years ago have neve been replaced. So doing any work at home and bring it in, plugging in your laptop and getting on with it is no longer an option as they are so slow and can't cope.
    I, too, like having a whiteboard in class, however, as I like to have the radio on all the time but that is all it is ever used for. But if my school's honest experience of whiteboards is typical, then this is yet another example of a national con going on, where all schools pretend that this technology is fantastic because it is in all our interests to do so. Yet the reality is a very expensive and time-wasting opposite.

3. The projector is used every lesson in my room, would need to completely change the way I teach i I lost it.
    The IWB is only used once a day and is a nice to have but not essential.

4. I agree that the projector is essential, I could cope without it, but I'd rather not.

The IWB? I've used it once this school year, before giving up and using the mouse.

Last year I used it exactly once too, and that was getting a student to use it so I could take a photo for the school prospectus!

However, the difference here is that you and I know that an IWB and projector are two separate things, and that you can use the projector without needing an IWB. Most teachers don't see that difference. They think they need an IWB to show a powerpoint.

5. impis

impis New commenter

I love using the IWB and do so in the proper sense - intereactively. The kids love using it too and its a real motivator for them.
    Yes, it takes a bit of effort to set it up - but the kids are worth that extra effort, so I don't mind. Plus, if you use it enough, you get much faster at getting it ready.

6. Are you secondary?

I just don't see the point in using it for teaching secondary ict. I dislike not facing the class for one. I much prefer to stand at my computer (facing the class) and use the mouse on my pc, and for explaining stuff I've done I'll then leap back and point at whatever it is I'm doing on the board.

But then I use vim (via putty) on the projector for my sixth form lessons, so maybe I'm not your normal teacher!

7. Ooh, didn't need to use
    in Firefox like I do in Opera!

8. impis

impis New commenter

If you 're using the board properly, you never really have your back to the class. You kind of stand side on.
    I do teach secondary ICT, yes.

9. Well each to his/her own. It's just not for me. Side on? So you have your back to half the class?
    Whatever, not for me. Waste of money imho!

10. As a supplier of audio-visual equipment to schools in East Anglia it is interesting to read the experiences of teachers on this site.
    My experience working with many (mainly primary) schools agrees with the general feeling that money has been thrown into acquiring the technology, but not the ongoing support. Ongoing support is essential to maintain the equipment (I've lost track of the number of times I've arrived at a school in response and discovered the equipment has been unusable for months!), and to ensure teachers have basic training (the expensive interactive whiteboard often ends up used as a cheap projection screen).
    The schools I hear least from are those that have competent, dedicated ICT support. These tend to be in the private sector where the money is obviously available to pay someone properly.