1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Social networking"? I don't see the point.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, May 8, 2011.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I do no tFacebook, Bebo, Youface, Twitter or whatever. Apart from them getting my personal details, which any big organisation probably has anyway, I just do not get it. If I want to talk to family or friend I have a phone. If I wanted to tell a work colleague something it can wait until the following day, or after the weekend . Why is this stuff so important? Things like "friends reunited" are beyond me too. If you want to remain a friend surely you do, or did?
    Is it all really necessary? How does it improve our lives?

2. What do you call this if it isn't social networking?

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Well is this all that your Facebooks and so on are? I thought it was something different. If this is all they are, why the fuss? Why do they need all your personal information which TES does not?

4. Yes - I call this site social networking. Also I love the contact with friends and family on Facebook. I've just helped organise my cousin's Summer visit from America, via messages on the site, with 4 people posting back and forth. It will be the first time I will have seen her in 10 years. Phone calls and E mails would have been more complicated.

5. Facebook has my email

TES has my email

Nt sure what you see as being the difference

6. I have a small circle of close freinds and family whom I would always contact by phone or face to face if I had anything important to tell them. But 95% of the time I have nothing of any importance to say and don't wish to detain them indefinitely with my trivial witter. All I want is brief social exchange, to know they're OK, to maintain contact. I find Facebook and MSN Messenger ideal for this, and for keeping in touch with the huge group of people I don't see from one to the next but don't want to completely lose touch with.

7. AAARRGGGHH I do know how to spell "friends"!!!!

8. Twitter needs no personal information. Facebook only needs an email address and your name...but I guess you could use any name you liked! Perhaps you should have a look at these things so you know what they actually are before you rant or if you'd rather not look at them don't talk about what you've no experience of? I'm not saying that in a harsh way...!

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

If this TES forum is SN then I don't actually "know" any of the posters. I met a few a few years ago, but most of them have disappeared. I use this site to argue politics, religion, and to take the pi$$.
    The other stuff just sounds boring and pointless.
    (Am I "networking" now?)

10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You can't look at them without joining. And you can never leave facebook so I believe. So no, I can't have a look.

11. And others will have their reasons for using twitter and FB.
    I don't like either, but if folk want to use them, why not?
    Surely better than just coming along to argue politics and religion (which you don't - you just shout and run away) or take the p.iss (which is hardly friendly).
    If you don't like - don't use.

12. Yes

What "other stuff"

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Your personal comments are unnecessary CQ, just because I hold opposing views to you on many threads. As to "running away", unlike you with the highest number of posts in the shortest time, I do not live on here. Thus if I appear to "run away" its because I have gone off to do something else, like get on with my life.

14. LOL - neither do I. You are so behind the times, sweetie.
    As for personal comments - you were the one who dished them out in the first place. Very nasty they were too. And you haven't stopped since. Like Bauble, you cannot stop yourself.
    You do run away though - not from me - from anyone on Opinion, as you cannot debate.
    Why not twitter instead`?

15. I refused to go onto Facebook or Twitter... had never joined any other social site previously other than another forum about 12yrs ago! [​IMG]
    Apart from my Pa, none of my family are very, er... <strike>nice</strike> [​IMG] caring to the extent that they would take an interest in my life to the point of making a phone call or dropping me an email!
    My siblings were so self absorbed in Facebook, I decided to give it a whirl, if not to keep in touch at a safe distance.
    I found it quite useful to pop on every now and again and catch up on their activities, and now use it to keep in touch with them and more distance relatives who I wouldn't normally talk to. We all post photos on their and the odd video clip. I have a few overseas/distant pals, and a selection of work friends but the majority family.
    Everything in the one place! [​IMG]

16. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

In general I agree actually Jacob - I use this site and one other to keep up with people/events/ideas etc but don't do fb or any other networky sites as I don't see the point in keeping up with or re-establishing contact with people I lost touch with (which is how I guess some people use these sites). And I don't like broadcasting my' affairs, pictures, details etc to anyone I wouldn't do that face to face with. And I haven't disappeared you old goat - just up to my ears in nappies - bleugh

hazey x

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I use FB. I keep in touch with old friends that I'd otherwise only send a Christmas card to! I've discovered how small the world really is, by finding out how many of my friends are friends of friends and we never knew! Not life changing stuff, but interesting.
    I get invites through FB to events and find it all rather harmless as I have absolute privacy on my account (well, as private as anything is on the internet).
    If you don't like it, don't do it. Simple!

18. And you can never leave facebook so I believe.
    "Deactivate account" is a two-click procedure.

19. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I think they retain all of your information and photographs.