1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"realising symbolic language in performance (shakespeare)"

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by worksleepwork, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have a job interivew and I've been asked to teach a Yr 8 lesson on a Shakespeare extract about how symbolic language can be realised in performance. I have two ideas at the moment and not sure which fits best, hope you wonderful people might be able to share your thoughts!
    My first idea was to use Ariel's description of the storm in The Tempest and use the language to create soundscapes and use some physical theatre to create the storm. My other idea was looking at the argument between Prospero and Caliban where they throw curses at each other. To be honest my dilemma rides on not being 100% sure what they mean in the instructions, am I being too literal in terms of 'realising symbolism' in my first idea? Do they want a more naturalistic interpretation enabling the kids to understand the symbolic language?
    I've a feeling I'm overthinking this and would be grateful for any thoughts!

2. Thanks Caroline! It's good to have a vote of confidence! Off to plan now . .