1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Qualified" to drive a minibus?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by primarysteve, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Our school has just purchased a minibus and we have a teacher that drives coaches as a second job outside of school. He has been taking staff out to train them to drive it, working through his checklist and doing vehicle checks etc. As good a driver as he may be, is this sufficient or should we be doing something through an "approved" scheme like MiDAS?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You need to check with your insurer as to what they require.
    Some may only require you to have D1 on your drivers licence. You will only have this if you passed your test before 1996. (look on the back of your photo licence)
    If you don't have D1 then you will have to take an LEA approved MIDAS course by an approved trainer. In Birmingham ours last 2 days, 1 day theory, 1 day practical. This will then allow you to drive your school's bus (but no other) provided that it is less than 3.5 tonnes in weight. (most modern 17 seaters are heavier than this). You will not be able to tow a trailer on a MIDAS licence.
    However you need also to check your insurer because some will not recognise a MIDAS qualification. Our's didn't (Norwich Union) and we had to switch to Zurich (who are the LEA's insurers) who did.
    Some LEAs like Birmingham insist you do the MIDAS even if you have D1. It has to be refreshed every 3 years. Refreshers are 1 and a half days with the half day being the practical.
    MIDAS without D1 only allows you to drive the bus belonging to your school carrying your school's kids.
    I don't think having a coach driver train you will meet the requirments!

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In fact I know that in Birmingham and Coventry coach drivers can't drive school owned minibuses unless thay have taken a MIDAS course.

You need to check with your LEA and your insurer and make sure you satisfy both.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In fact I know that in Birmingham and Coventry coach drivers can't drive school owned minibuses unless thay have taken a MIDAS course.

You need to check with your LEA and your insurer and make sure you satisfy both.

5. I know that in our area all persons wishing to drive a mini bus has to take the LA authority training and test.