1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"One Day" the book/film

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Jan 1, 2012.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I agree. Enjoyed the book, hated the film. Why couldn't they have cast an English actress who might have halfway done the accent justice? I did think that the guy in the film did a brilliant job though.
    I think there was a thread over on the Book Club forum about this. x

2. i got the book for christmas and loved it. Haven't seen the film though and really want too. where did you get to watch the film? didn't think it was out in the cinema anymore and its not out on dvd until feb if you can pass on where would be great thanks :)

3. I loved the book and hated the film too!
    Just had a similar experience with the book 'Eat, Pray,Love'. They put Julia Roberts in the part of the sassy, quirky heroine!! That's the trouble they seem to choose actors and actresses that they feel will attract audiences rather than the person who best fits the role!
    Our favourite activity at the end of my Book Group is to cast all the characters in the book for a film adaptation. I reckon I could do the job better than Hollywood! [​IMG]

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Most loved books are usually very badly adapted when made into a movie. In order to get the money to make the movie,they have to use big names who might be good actors but are not suited to that particular part. As someone else already mentioned,bits of the book are cut out or totally changed!

5. I completely agree Impulce. I read the book and enjoyed it but the pictures in my head were nothing like the stuff that was put out at the cinema and I too was disappointed. The film almost raced through their lives, cutting short many of the issues - or by-passing them completely -so although to film-goers it may have been a lovely story, (I dragged the man to this chick-flick and he enjoyed it!) to me the film was annoyingly 'wrong'. I suppose there would have been too much to cram into 90 mins or however long a film lasts these days, but the characters just weren't properly developed and yes, I was cross and felt short-changed on leaving the cinema. It just wasn't 'deep' enough.
    I too wondered why an American actress had to play the Yorkshire lead. Far too fluffy a choice I thought.

6. it must be v hard to adapt a book, with all it's intricacies and characterisation, into a a film which has a limited running time. films of short stories seem to work better - eg, Stephen King's Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, or Fall from Innocence: The Body (Stand By Me) mind, the Lawnmower man was terrible.

7. Bits of books have to be cut out or changed because they don't translate to the screen.
    In this case, the book was such cynical claptrap that I would have thought it would translate perfectly.

8. anteater

anteater New commenter

I didn't like the book because Dexter as a character was such a **** I couldn't really care about him at all - maybe cutting out the alcohol made him more sympathetic as a character ?(haven't seen the film and have no intention of doing so)

9. Oh I really liked him in the book, and thought his downward spiral into drug and alcohol abuse was a crucial part of his development as a character....I suppose their intention with the film, and my expectation as a reader was different. I didnt want a fluffy rom-com, I wanted a film that followed the ups and downs of the characters life as the story did.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid I hated the book with a vengeance. Cardboard characters about whom I didn't care in the least.

11. I didn't enjoy the book at all and had no interest in the characters. I kept reading it, thinking it would get better but was left disappointed at the end. I have no intention of seeing the film.

12. I enjoyed both but thought the casting of Anne was a big mistake! Xx

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It probably would have made a good BBC mini series with British actors and more attention to details.

14. I read the book and enjoyed it - although I thought it was very predictable. Not seen the film but I read somewhere that Anne Hathaway either bought the film rights or something similar and that's why she was cast!

15. I actually went to see the film first and then bought the book on my Kindle a couple of months later. I much preferred the book and I was annoyed that so many things were cut like her fling with the headmaster-my mum really wanted to see who they would cast in that role and was very disappointed when it didn't feature at all in the film.