1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"new"ofsted / lesson obs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by merlymoo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I understand that the new "even better" Ofsted have decided that schools are now outstanding, good or need to improve. Is it the same for lesson observations from the Head?
    I have always had good until the last one which was satisfactory, will this now be called - needing to improve and a back door way of saying people are under performing?
    Although I am not happy with a satisfactory grading theres a huge difference (in my mind) between satisfactory and needing to improve - which implies being rubbish.

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

You are in many ways already answering your own questions and just need to consider a few more possible connections.....
    it most certainly will, which leads to consideration of the why, when these categories already existed and were quite well understood (if hopelessly subjective and arbitrary in their application - another story, another tragedy): comes the thought, the new categorisation introduces change, undermining teachers' confidenc ein their ability to judge or even reflect on thier performance and more importantly challenge any self-serving judgement handed down by a perverse observer; this makes it easier for school to harrass and demotivate teachers, provides ammunirtion to hurl at teachers to keep them away from 'expensive' pay progression, it makes teachers more frightened than they already are to speak out against the constant barrage we are subjected to for fear of getting on the wrong side of managers who wield a mighty weapon in the LO, part of an arsenal about to be hugely increased with the new licence to sack anyone who stands up for themselves or doesn't fit in - whoops, sorry, 'underperforms' as defined in the new 'Appraisal' arrangements
    .. and once you have realised the latter you are nicely softened up for whatever the government bullies LAs -or whatever scraps of them are left or haven't been privatised - and schools into piling onto you..

3. Thank goodness for unions - can see them becoming a lot busier!

4. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

You are joking?