1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I Love You"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Peel, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Why is it just SO hard to say it?
    I've just been with a really close friend that I love to bits and she's suffering and in real need of tlc, support and friendship - real, proper, unconditional, loving friendship
    and no matter what, I just couldn't bring myself to say it.
    And I should have done - because it's good knowing that someone loves you.
    Because life is just too short to be shy

Next time I will say so
    Determined!

2. I know it's hard, but i always tell myself when i can't say something, actions speak louder than words

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Ooh, I'd feel a bit funny about saying that to anyone outside the family ... even if it is a really close friend.
    I'm sure she knows how much you care (you sound like a lovely friend), so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself over it [​IMG]

4. crampsfan

crampsfan New commenter

Have you noticed how teenagers say it to each other at the drop of a hat nowadays? (Or is it just girls?)

5. You could say something like 'Know you are loved', instead of saying 'I love you'...?

6. I think that is so lovely and so right in situations like this. Why wouldn't I ever have thought of that?

7. I used to find it hard to say "I love you" .... not to partners, but to friends, but I met someone who was so loving that I found it easier. Now I frequently tell family that I love them, and since some of them were brought up like me, and not used to saying it, I sometimes just add a cheery "OK! Love ya" at the end of phone conversations. Other things that make it easier, are to slip it into a conversation "Oh, that's one of the things that I love about you....."

8. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I will always remember the absurdly awkward Prince Charles upon his engagement to the most fragrant Diana and the, "Whatever that means." comment. Anyone unable to express love has most likely never been given it, so sad x Love you all xxxx

9. Here's a question:
    Ever fallen In Love with someone you shouldn't have?

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh God, yes!

11. More info needed manashee!
    And surely you're not the only one....!

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Every bloke before the blessed Mr manny. There were some shockers. Very occasionally I look back and think what the F was I doing??? Mainly all 6' plus, long hair and bad attitudes. I was an idiot for most of my 20s!

13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes.
    Everyone I've ever loved has been either a b astard and/or unavailable!
    (Sometimes both, without telling me!)

14. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Is this because you believe yourself to be unworthy of love narcissus if so why the username?

15. I had an ex who believed that if you said "I love you" too many times, it lost its meaning. Now he didn't mean saying it *****-nilly to whoever you may have a casual interest towards, he literally meant you could say it too much to the person you loved.
    Luckily my fiance has the complete opposite view and we tell each other several times a day. Why not express it if you feel it?
    I was brought up in a family that wasn't particularly affectionate or lovey towards one another. We're very close- at least on my mother's side- but we rarely say "I love you". I don't think I've ever said it to my eldest brother or my grandparents and I could probably count the times I've said it to my mum on my hands. It doesn't mean we don't love each other, just that we don't really express it verbally. Yet every Christmas Eve, the whole of my mum's side meets up to attend Christingle in my grandparent's church. It's a very loving event, even if we don't say it aloud.
    Strangely, both myself and my mother are very affectionate with my youngest brother, who is 12 years younger than me. We're always telling him we love him, hugging him and he has grown up to be very affectionate himself. He's not afraid of telling me he loves me whilst out in town with a bunch of his mates.