1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Heroes/Role models" theme - suggestions would be great!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by she_who_dares, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hello everyone! In September I'll be teaching in an international school which will have children of a few different nationalities, and as the school is very keen on getting the children to learn about other countries and cultures, I was thinking of having a display about heroes/role models from countries around the world.
    They don't necessarily have to be people the children will know loads about, just people that might get them thinking and asking questions (I'll be teaching KS2, most likely Y3 or 4 but this hasn't been confirmed yet) about the world. An idea I had was to have people from different fields, so scientists, writers, sportsmen, historical/political figures and so on, so children who aren't interested in certain subjects won't just switch off - does this make sense? As wide a range of nationalities, cultures and gender would be fantastic. I have some ideas but I wanted to see if any came from nowhere and struck me as interesting!
    Of course, if the idea seems like utter nonsense, please feel free to tell me that as well :)

2. To clarify, the school is in the middle east so I'll have to bear in mind any culturally sensitive matters, but most choices should be fine - I just don't want the children to "switch off" if they're all from similar time periods/fields of expertise/cultural backgrounds and so on...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Gandhi - a hero in my book. Believed in non violence.
    Mandela - forgiveness and reconciliation.
    Douglas Bader - lost both legs but led by inspiration and followed up after war inspiring the disabled.
    Marie Curie - female scientist
    Florence Nightingale - use of statistics in medicine
    Martin Luther King
    I can't think of other cultures - that's bad. Plus these are 20th century people.

4. They are a fab starting point, thank you! I'd never thought of using Douglas Bader - that's a very different sort of message than I'd originally thought of, but thinking on it, it's still a very useful one!
    Without giving too much away the school is in an autonomous region which previously suffered greatly under a dictatorship, so stories of hope and achievement despite the odds are probably the best sort? The notion of forgiveness and a better future (as per Mandela) could also be an interesting route.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hope and achievement - despite the odds. Suffragette movement - Pankhurst? Rosa Parks - refused to give up her seat.
    You've got me thinking.

6. Oh my goodness, I am appalled at myself for not thinking of the suffragettes! Rosa Parks is also a good idea (I'd better start writing these down)...