1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"GLOW is p*sh" Official.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Um, no. Welcome to the real world of Glow. Your experience is typical, and it's why many of us have simply given up on it, and probably why LTS is now soliciting opinions from teachers on how to "improve" it. More good money to be thrown after bad, it seems.

2. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

Ask your pupils for an email address that they use, some dont check email at all, some wont have an email address. Set up emails with gmail for those that do not have email. Arrange the emails in class setsso you can email the whole class .If an attachment is too big to email, then use dropbox.com and upload to the puplic folder. If you want to use a blog I found multiply.com the most straightforward for what I was doing.
    Google docs may be blocked in your school, it is in mine, zoho writer has its uses.

Its all too much effort for s1/s2.

3. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

yacapaca.com is good too

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

By the sounds of it things would be faster and more reliable transported by carrier pigeon!! Can you not just give them their revision notes on paper?

5. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

yes revision notes on paper too.
    revision notes as mp3, revision notes as video, going to convert the videos to various formats so various phones can use them. format factory, all the resources are free and easy to use.

6. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

paper notes, although on a4 can be reduced to two a5's on an a4 sheet automatically on the office photocopier, halving the cost.

7. Well, yes. I said as much back in January 2010 in TESS
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6032879
    and https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6034000

Nothing's changed apart from a little cosmetic facelift. And we're about to start writing the cheques for GLOW 2 as the glowfutures tendering process is now underway..

Plus ca change etc etc

8. I've used it a few times, been to some training, but it is of little use. I uploaded stuff during school closures last winter and got a thumbs up from the head teacher. I felt like saying if you just put it on the website everyone could look at it without any need for passwords etc. or link it to school facebook or twwitter page.

I haven't been back on since as I cant remember username or password. SMT are producing a most used list of pages for the school, I am so glad they have nothing better to do, it shows how efficient and competent they are. [​IMG]

9. This comment- and Oscar's before it - are just brilliant! Thanks for both of those :-0