1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"GLOW is p*sh" Official.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6058248

2. I'd be interested to know how much of the £12M allocated to schools' IT is being eaten up by GLOW.
    If Mr Russell is going to protect the budget as much as possible, he could do no worse than start by ditching this arcane piece of ****.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

All school technology is pish - it can take two periods of precious non-contact to do what it would take 15 minutes to do at home.

4. Amen, seren. Let's not even get started on what happens when you dare to depend on the technology to teach a lesson. Rule Number One: ALWAYS have a chart paper/chalkboard alternative ready to go. Which means double-planning all lessons. Ahh, efficiency!

5. I haven't found Glow Light any easier. It looks prettier but that's about it. Like many other problems it seems we will continue to throw money at it until people stop complaining.

6. The idea of glow is unquestionably good; its implementation is unquestionably poor.
    Cup of CfE anyone?!

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Thank God my own kids are grown up and hopefully by the time I have any grandkids all this educational mess will be cleared up.
    There's nothing more to say is there? We are being told what to do by fools; and the losers are the poor kids attending school today. Our new S1s generally hate the new CfE "ideas" - it's just like an extension of primary, which most of them were all fed up of by Christmas 2009, but hey.....they will not have any formal qualifications for employers to judge their ability on, so they can continue to "play" , as my grown up kids work hard to provide dole money for these unchallenged souls.
    Off my soapbox now before I give myself indigestion.
    [​IMG]

8. Oh for heaven's sake. There's nothing wrong with Glow! It's all us eejits trying to use it, that's what's wrong. Glow is not the problem. Stupid non-geek-type teachers who won't do any Glow training, that's the problem!!
    [​IMG]

9. jonowen

[​IMG]
    How much Glow training do WE need? I've been issued with the wrong password twice, we had a "Glow Training" after school meeting to ensure all staff had login details in place, then we "played" around with the Glow site. LTScotland have a lot of stuff on Glow, there are a few schools with fancy web-sites (and out of date information), clicked on SQA for my subject and there was nothing but the banner.
    - I like that label CG !!
    [​IMG]

10. TBH - I am a bit of a geek and so far I just find it a bit clunky and awkward to use.
    So much so that I don't even feel inspired to try.
    I like the idea of glow - but they surely could have made the interface a bit more instinctive and user friendly...

11. a hole filled bag of pi*h comes to my mind.

12. *sticks tongue firmly into cheek*
    No, apparently they couldn't have. Anyway, any true geekie-type can see that Glow is fine just as it is. We are the ones at fault, for not using it, for not figuring it out, and most of all, for not doing all that TRAINING we were supposed to do!!
    *wondering where Durkin is.....He should be here, not leaving me to go on and on about the virtues of Glow training all by myself!!*
    *sticks tongue even more firmly into cheek*
    [​IMG]

13. jonowen

Ooooo! CG, watch you don't bite it! And stop pulling a face like that - it might just get stuck like that for ever!!

14. Only if the wind changes, joni, and let's face it, no education-related wind in this country is going to change any time soon. The same old hot air will continue to issue from the same overblown vents for the foreseeable future. [​IMG]

15. I have to add my 'two bobs' worth in here I have recently finished teacher training and was looking forward to getting to grips with this 'Glow' mythical application that all the teachers I know have been 'moaning' about! Being very 'tech savy' I thought I would give it a go and that it would come very easy, however, I have never used such a 'naff' piece of web based software in my life!!! well maybe apart from the archaic and now defunct 'Bebo' ... Glow light doesn't even come close to the 'Powerhouse' of social networking ... Facebook... which they could learn a thing or two from! It's pathetic really, it is, we are now in 2010 the age of technology with iphones and ipads etc etc however I have found that even with my own children, that so-called ICT in school has nowhere near prepped any child for the workplace, all they can really master is the 'games console' which given recent press, they will all become key hole surgeons lol! [​IMG]

16. jonowen

Welcome senorjocky and thank you for your confirmation that GLOW is as aforesaid! I'll be honest, when it was first mentioned I thought "Oh no, here's another new thing I'm too old and thick to master....." but it's easy! and useless. time wasting, money wasting......happy Monday everyone! (Richard Madelely (with 2 Es) is about as bad as GLOW, imho!!)
    [​IMG]

17. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

I heartily agree - if GLOW could have been developed as a protected twiter-style thing - or anything more liquid and user friendly as it is now, that would be better.
    This is why us geeks use the TES forums or other such more practical, instant ways of communicating - I also feel it to be far more free.
    GLOW is unwieldy, exclusive of several modes of technophobia and is far too clunking a behemoth to be a joy to use - which these things need to be.

18. Not even Glow Light lifted my Glow Gloom

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Wait till it crashes when it get's a Glow Worm [​IMG]

20. I'm a probationer and have been persevering with GLOW - until today.
    My first problem came when it took 4 periods to deliver a lesson which should have taken no more than 2 (a lesson I'd taught before using a different email and ediary system, so I was quite comfortable with timings etc). At the end of the 4th period, the experiment was abandoned - I felt the class had at least enough of an idea to complete any further tasks or exam questions, if not as secure an understanding as I would have liked - but I just couldn't justify any more time.
    Since then, I've spent about 5 hours uploading resources for a different class onto Glow to allow pupil revision at home without the need for lots of printing etc. I enrolled the class and had a classroom "test run" to make sure that all pupils were happy - and they were until this morning when I held a test... at which point half the class announced that they hadn't been able to access Glow at home when they'd tried to revise last night. Now I know that some of them were probably "at it" - but some of the pupils involved are hard working and diligent, and I'd be amazed if they'd all decided not to bother to revise on the same night. When I asked them to demonstrate in class many of them were still being denied access!
    Any thoughts or suggestions - other than give up as a bad job?