1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Administration" charges - infuriating!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I am in the process of changing my address with various companies as we get the keys to our new house on Friday.
    It should be an exciting time but I am getting soo stressed out!
    Why oh why do companies get away with charging ridiculous administration charges just to type a new address into their systems and print out a new piece of paper?
    Car insurance companies are the worst - £25 just to change my address (Times two because my partner has to do his too). The cats microchipping companies have charged me another £10. Im barely a quarter of the way down the list of companies!

Also does anybody know - If I change my address with companies that I am currently paying direct debits out for (insurances, loan etc) will the direct debits stop when the billing address for my bank does not match the new address? I am unable to get down to the bank to change my address with them just yet, and am concerned that when the billing address I have originally input doesnt match the new address, it will throw a spanner in the works. Or does this not matter?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have never had a problem with this when I have moved so I would guess that it doesn't matter.
    Sympathies on the change of address charges but I hope to be joining you doing the same over the next few months.

3. I'm guessing here, but I think matching an address to account is used in setting up transactions, and if paper statements are forwarded to home address. I doubt established regular payments would be affected.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

With car insurance add on business usage, usually about £10, as your 'upgrading' your policy they waive the admin fee (or at least mine did) x

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not sure what you mean. As long as your not changing bank account and the DD are already set up,the addresses don't come into play as far as I know.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

you're.

7. Thanks for the replies (I realise I didnt explain my question very well but you understood what I mean!!)
    Ive just rang and changed my address with my bank - it said online to go into the branch to do it, but over the phone she did all my accounts in one go. They didnt mention that it would affect anything (But I did listen to some numpty trying to get me to buy their products for about 5 minutes!)
    Ive also just been charged by Tesco to change my pet insurance address (Though only 22p extra on my monthly payments!).
    Bored now!

8. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I totally feel your pain about admin charges. I am moving into a different rented flat and I have had to pay £258 for the privilege of applying! If I fail a reference check or credit check I don't get anything back. What on earth could cost that much money unless they use THE most expensive printer and ink in the world.

9. Wow Helena - you win with that one!
    I always used to be fuming when I had to resign a new contract on our rented house - £60 each time just to re-print with a different date and sign it. AND they never opened later than 5.30 when OH finishes work at 5 and it needed both signatures, so we used to have to rush over, then theyd be grumpy with us because we were keeping them at work for an extra 2 minutes, and then we'd have to hand over our cold hard cash.
    Thank goodness im out of the rented world as of Friday!

10. Jumping into the money sapping world of house owning!
    You are quite lucky with only a £25 charge from car insurance. Mine added £110 to the premium because I had moved [​IMG]

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

It is so infuriating - I completely understand your frustration!
    I know it's not quite on such a large scale of expense, but why are you charged extra to pick up cinema tickets booked online?
    I'm helping keep their horrendous bl.oody queues down on the night, so why charge me extra for it?!

12. Tell me about it - I recently purchased tickets from ticketmaster. Being the tightwad I am I chose to print my own tickets, believing I would be saving myself a few bob.
    They charged me £4:25 'administration fee'
    and wait for it......a £2:50 'postage fee'!! I printed my own bloody tickets!!
    Daylight robbery.

13. Wow PFF! The £25 extra was for my OH with Swiftcover. Can I ask what company your with?
    Ive filled in the online form to change mine with Admiral and am waiting for their email reply so dont know how much they have charged yet!

14. This was with coop (the most useless insurance company in the world). My insurance would have gone up whichever company I was with due to changing where the car was registered.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

When I was in rented they did that to me too. I signed and returned the contrsct but refused to pay the £60. I told them it was money for old rope for pressing a button and printing out a piece of paper.
    Never did pay it. Not even when I left.

16. Wish I had as much balls as you Belle - I was too worried they wouldn't put it through properly if I refused.