1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quorn Roast?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LaureRichis, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Has anyone seen any Quorn Roasts whilst out shopping? I am having some Veggies over for christmas dinner but I haven't been able to track one down yet.
    They are found in the freezer section and resemble a big sausage shape. I can get to any of the major supermarkets.
    Thankyou [​IMG]

2. Has anyone seen any Quorn Roasts whilst out shopping? I am having some Veggies over for christmas dinner but I haven't been able to track one down yet.
    They are found in the freezer section and resemble a big sausage shape. I can get to any of the major supermarkets.
    Thankyou [​IMG]

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

5. I've seen them in Sainsburys and Adsa. Do they definitely like the Quorn brand? Im' vegetarian and absolutely hate Quorn. I'd much prefer a nice nut roast on my Sunday lunch. There's some yummy parsnip and nut or butternut squash and nut roasts available in Asda. Alternativelythe Linda McCartney country pies always go well with roasties or mash.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's available just about anywhere - even in this backwater! Do ask them what they'd like though... there's a lot of it if they're not keen!

7. I am veggie and also don't like Quorn. Waitrose do a lovely nut roast wellington with goat cheese and apricot. 2 portions costs about £4.00. I personally am just glad when someone remembers I am veggie though. If there is a roast with all the lovely roasted veg and an onion gravy I am a v happy veggie.

8. v12

v12

9. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

There are much nicer things to do for your veggies than processed fake meat unless you know they really like it. One nice idea is a puff pasty tart with something in it like onions, mushrooms, chestnuts and some goats cheese or brie etc. There are lots of ideas online. I would say tho' that you should ensure whatever you make goes with roast spuds, veg and gravy. My all time worst xmas meal was a revolting claggy quiche (!!) served with gravy etc urggg.

10. lilachardy

I'm going to combine my idea with yours, PM - a mini Yorkshire pudding (bought, I think), filled with braised leeks, a blob of homemade cranberry sauce and a slice of brie.
    I might do a mushroom and goats' cheese one too... it seems inevitable that how ever much I make for myself, everyone else wants to try it and I'm left with just about enough for the average robin to survive on, so I may as well go for it big time and prepare one for everyone!

11. Thanks for all your replies. I am catering for vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians and carnivores. I am making Pine Nut and herb stuffed Aubergines with tomato sauce for the Vegans and Vegetarians, Salmon for the fish eaters and a Turkey Crown for the carnivores -phew!
    I am a bit worried about my oven space what with the roast potatoes as well. I have a teenage vegetarian so thought the Quorn roast would appeal to them and would squeeze into the oven somewhere. I did it last year and he ate it so assumed it was okay. Maybe a pastry based thing would be better as it would appeal to everyone-is pastry vegan??
    Open to other suggestions though, the ideas posted so far sound delicious (apart from the claggy quiche). In a bit of a dilemma really about whether I should cook something for every different dietary requirement. I don't think I could persuade my elderly relatives to chomp into a veggie dinner so my sister is going to cook the meat at her house and bring it along.
    How complicated-am I the only one?
    <h1>
    </h1>

12. lilachardy

How about...

Your sister brings meat, and you make a variety of tarts to suit as many people as you can?
    Pastry can be made with vegan margarine (I'm told!), and then you can do several different fillings. Perhaps salmon and cream cheese for those that like fish, quorn sausage and tomato for the younger vegetarians, mixed beans for the vegans, mediteranean vegetables with or without cheese topping... I dunno, I'm just throwing ideas in here. The leek/cranberry/brie mix is a good one, and mushrooms and boursin cheese is also lovely - I can't vouch for the others!
    It might be nice for everyone to be having essentially the same, just with different variations.

You could post on the cookery forum for ideas... I am trying to work out if it's possible to have vegan Yorkshire pudding... I suspect not.

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It is possible to make vegan Yorkshire pudding....you use egg-replacement powder, soya milk and vegan marge.....but doesn't taste anywhere near as good as the 'real' thing!

14. Cooking Forum - never noticed that before.
    I guess that's where I should have posted this-duhh![​IMG]

15. lilachardy

"Normal" people eat food too - not just the cookery nuts!

16. My husband is vegetarian, everybody else rampant carnivores. He has, for the past few years, insisted that I don't make him anything special. He loves all the veggies that I cook - a minimum of 5 varieties, plus roast and mashed spuds and yorkshire puds.
    We aways have a veggie starter for everyone.
    Why anyone would want to spend days preparing a variety of individual mains for fussy eaters, I dont know. (not that vegetarians are fussy!!)

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Quorn roast [​IMG]

18. I agree about preparing a variety of mains - I would just do two - meat and vegan and leave it at that. I especially wouldn't bother with pescetarian. I can respect vegetarians and vegans but can't get my head round pescetarians and even if I could for one day they can just eat vegetarian. Not being harsh but it's your Christmas too! I would always try to meet everyone's requirements but go for the lowest common denominator!

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

[​IMG] Agreed.
    Quorn is such a non-food, horrible pointless stuff.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have to cater for a vegetarian son and a carnivore daughter who doesn't like turkey. Son gets a couple of Quorn fillets and separate gravy with no meat juices. Daughter gets a chicken fillet and gravy made with turkey juices. Everyone has the roast potatoes cooked in olive oil and the veg.
    This year I may be hosting one of my sisters. She has food 'sensitivities' and won't have any oil except sunflower. I'll use that for the roast potatoes. However, she won't now eat turkey from the whole bird as she's discovered that the fat on poultry upsets her stomach. She needs a skinless piece of turkey breast and her vegetables need to be organic. It's much easier for her to self-cater so if she decides to join us she'll have a cleared utility room with a plug-in hob to cook her food separately.
    Even her water needs to be at a certain temperature and it's absolutely the only thing she'll drink. She can't have cold water, even on a hot day. She has two teapots, one for boiling and one for cold water and the hot water in her mug gets topped up after each sip to make sure that what she swallows is the at the same temperature! The pan that she boils her water in (kettle verboten) has to be scrubbed to rid it of the white marks that develop after each boiling .. she says they are calcium salts (?)... or that gets blamed for any stomach twinges too.
    She seems to think that only sensitive people like her have digestive systems that play up from time to time. Example: she won't have alcohol as she tried it about 40 years ago and it made her feel de-hydrated and headachey the next morning. When told that everyone reacts to alcohol in the same way and that I routinely drink a pint of water before going to bed to diminish the side-effects, she is adamant that they can't suffer from it like she does or they too would desist from drinking it!