1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quiz websites for assessments and homework

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by stefcz, Oct 18, 2015.

1. stefcz

stefcz New commenter

Hi,

Would anyone know of any good website to create and monitor online quizzes? I'm currently looking at the online quiz creator which has a fee of $20 a year for teachers:

http://pricing.onlinequizcreator.com/pricing-teachers/

I'd be grateful if other teachers could recommend similar or better sites.

Thanks

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

newkidsontheblock likes this.
  3. icequeenelsa

icequeenelsa New commenter

Have you tried these websites?
    www.quizlet.com - Create a class and add your students. Then create a study set. The study set comes with flash cards that you create, a spelling test, a assessment on everything that you have taught in the study set, and activities. You can quickly master anything with Quizlet.
    2. The online quiz website:

https://kahoot.it/#/

4. queenhans

queenhans New commenter

5. finamar

finamar New commenter

It's not free! £7.50 a month.

6. I don't particularly like the set-question quizzes. I've been trying https://sir.veyed.com which is a more free-form system where I can set my own questions and answers. I use it mostly for my more remote children that I don't see every day. I use the cheap-as-chips $5/mth one, but I'm pretty sure that there's a free version.

7. Natalie_A89

Natalie_A89 New commenter

You can always make up your own quiz using the IWB Pro? It is quick and easy to do. I also know teachers to use a software called DigiClass to generate their own questions with a variety of open and multiple choice questions.

Hope this helped.

Good Luck with the quiz.

8. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

My students like Kahoot.

martin_hurst likes this.
  9. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Quizlet currently the most functional for managing class quizzes. Socrates also useful. Kahoot possibly the most engaging, and useful occasionally anyway.

I had a subscription to Doddle about ten years or so ago (maybe less). Found it clunky with an unhelpful password recovery system - gave many ready excuses for students not persisting. Might have changed now.

Triptico is superb for the variety of quiz tools and selectors. Definitely look at that.

10. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

kahoot is good for starters and plenarys in class

11. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I used Tanida Quiz Builder, a bit old hat now, but I liked it. It lets you create interactive quizzes, using a variety of formats including multiple choice and click and drag. The questions can be randomised, so different students taking the quiz at the same time would get their questions in a different order. You can set timings to start and end a quiz's availability, as well as how long its available for. You can also set a password, to prevent random people taking it. Students can be given feedback immediately, and the thing I found most useful, was the ability to have their results emailed to me when they completed the quiz. I could then put them into a spreadsheet for tracking purposes.

12. lukasz_gryzbon

lukasz_gryzbon New commenter

Have you tried https://tutorplanet.online/ ? It's a set of free tools for creating and managing homework including marking and reports.

13. MarkBOT

MarkBOT New commenter

If you want to be able to build your own assignments, and have the results automatically collated then you can use our software to do it for free. You can also generate feedback sheets based ob student answers if you want to.

14. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

Google Forms Quizzes is good. It's free, integrates with Google Classroom, lets you provide formative feedback if pupils get a question wrong, and can get class results exported to a spreadsheet. There are lots of demos on YouTube.

15. Lorizah90

Lorizah90 New commenter

All of these platforms sound great! I know using online platforms to assess student learning is extremely important for 21st century learners so I have used a few platforms myself.

I have used Kahoot which is a quick and engaging tool that encourages friendly competition between students and is quick and easy to set up.

I have also used Edmodo which is a great online platform that also has a quiz function where you can select multiple choice style, true/false and short answer questions. You can easily set due dates and place a time limit so students don't waste time while on the website. It also marks the work for you and breaks down each question and shows the percentage of students who answered the question correctly - this makes it easy to address common areas of concerns.

Our school has recently implemented a whole school online learning platform called Education Perfect which has ready-made lessons, powerpoint presentations and quizzes that students can complete at the end of a topic/chapter. It monitors progress and also sends monthly reports on student progress and summaries.

Thanks for sharing all these platforms everyone! I look forward to using some of these in the classroom like Google Forms Quizzes and Tanida Quiz Builder as I am all about trying new ideas and experiences for my students.

Thanks everyone.
    Lorizah.

16. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

I use Kahoot and Quizizz.

I prefer quizizz because I don't have to rely on being able to project the question itself on the board, as they get to have it on their personal screen.
    I also find that they tend to take it more seriously because the questions come up in a different order to that of their peers. Setting homework using it is very easy and the anlaysis from it is really easy to deal with.

17. leontina_budrinca

leontina_budrinca New commenter

18. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

I used Kahoot in the following format which worked well for testing 'little and often'.
    1. Set a learning homework
    2. Create the Kahoot - set a 'pass' grade
    3. Run the kahoot at the start of the lesson.
    4. Those that pass - finished...
    5. Those that didn't were given a written assignment for homework on the same topic

The lesson often then expanded on the topic, building on or applying what they had learnt. I found it quite successful and the pupils soon realised that homework helped them progress in the lesson.

Kahoot provided a csv download of grades.

I did use some custom CSS to put the answers at the top of the board though as some found it hard to see them at the bottom

19. excess

excess New commenter

Google docs for multiple choice and extended questions.

20. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Hi
    I'm a little out of the loop, having taken time out and doing daily supply. My last job was in an international school where each student brought a laptop to school. I used both kahoot and Quizlet frequently. At the school I'm at now (long term supply), the students don't have their own laptops. Can these quiz websites be used without everyone having access?