1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quitting

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon205, May 24, 2011.

1. Sorry, don't know what happened to the paragraphs and breaks in this

2. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Right! Time to get this all sorted out.
    1. Ring the Teacher Support Network. They are very good at separating the work and personal issues and helping you 'cope'.
    2. Union. Get them involved now. If you have had:
    an observation 'dumped' on after coming back off ill, pestering comments / messages while signed off sick and generally been hastled with no support
    then you have a case to raise.
    3. Family / husband. Tell them what's going on.
    4. Get yourself sorted out. That can be the things at home that have gon adrift, the illness and anything else that needs time to heal.
    I've been there, done it all and got the t-shirt. It does and will get better but you MUST get Union help with this case.

3. It's a very common situation to be in, and I'll put my hand up and say it happened to me too. Those four points from dc521 are really good advice. I'll go further and say that as a result of my experience I did change careers, and I am happier than ever!

4. Just to echo the above advice and add that I read on here (not sure of the exact post title - sorry) of a teacher who managed to continue teaching by being honest in application and interview about the reasons their previous post had impacted on their sickness record and performance. Obviously, this needs to be carefull and profressionally phrased.
    The main thing is that you get YOU right. Unfortunately, what you are going through is not uncommon - I have been there myself as have countless others. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get through this. Try not to make any big decissions while you are feeling low or anxious and get support from all around you - especially the union and your GP.
    Good luck with it all.