1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quitting the PGCE advice needed

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lucy_jones456, Feb 24, 2019.

1. lucy_jones456

lucy_jones456 New commenter

I'm currently in my second placement and I hate this course. I like the school i'm at and the class i'm in though. The workload is too much for me and i'm struggling mentally. Currently on cause for concern but i'm on my way off it. I definitely know teaching is not for me and I've been telling myself to just get through and get the qualification and then get a job that's not teaching.
    I want to quit. However, I don't know what I would put on my CV to apply for a new job as i don't want a gap and i want to be honest. How do i write it? I'm thinking of applying for IT jobs. I also don't know if i should find a new job and then quit the course once i have one.
    I'm stuck on how to do this and need some advice please!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Your CV will need to show that you have spent time doing part or all of a PGCE. You can't just leave that bit of your life out. Just record accurately what you have done. If you need to explain why you quit early, just be honest and say that teaching wasn't for you but don't slag off teaching. You can say that you soon realised that teaching didn't fit your skill set, that you wanted different challenges or that your real interest lies in ,,,, whatever you prospective employer does. Be positive about not teaching, say you have learned many important skills from your experience but it wasn't the direction you wanted to follow. This will give the impression that you have a clear idea of what you want to do but teaching wasn't it.

With about 4 in 10 teacher trainees not going into teaching or leaving soon after qualifying, your future employer will have undoubtedly encountered many in your position. Their concern is not what you have done in the past so much as to what you can bring to their business. Be positive, upbeat and enthusiastic and that will count much more than what has gone before. I'd start applying for jobs ASAP before the latest cohort of university leavers come onto the jobs market.