1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quitting The Job

Discussion in 'English' started by lswow, Nov 16, 2017.

1. lswow

lswow New commenter

Hi all,

I just wanted a little bit of career advice, I guess!

I've been teaching for 7 years in England and Wales. The job has become so tiring and difficult that most days, I come home and cry...then I mark... then I cry a little again! I have just come to a point where my mental health is so affected by this career choice, that I am having to medicate in order to feel relatively normal.

I'm done with dealing with: pupils who think that watching the film is enough for a Literature exam, SLT who constantly monitor and harass, a wage that I can't pay my rent with comfortably and most of all the workload.

Although I am worried that I will miss the actual job of teaching itself, I feel that if I don't change my options nothing will actually get better. It has become unmanageable and just so soul destroying.

I was wondering as an English teacher, what my career options could possibly be? I've only ever taught as a job and am at a total loss as to where to begin even looking! I have a degree in Eng and Creative Writing so am skilled at writing (obviously) and actually love it. Are there any jobs related to education and writing as a theme?

There's lots of general threads about leaving, but I couldn't quite see a thread specific for English teachers.

Thank you in advance,
    :)

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

Are you sure it isn't the school rather than the job? Many schools are becoming much more understanding of workload. When I think how much my school has improved over the last few years, I know there is hope. I work much more smartly now and am able to run a department, teach well and not cry. It is possible with the right people in the roles above you. Maybe you need to get out there and see what other schools are doing or even take a break and do some supply: I've heard it can be a good way in. If you care about the job so much to cry over it, there must be some worth in trying to save it.

lswow and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

I can totally understand how you feel. The job has become unmanageable in many aspects too many to mention here.

You could change schools to find one better suited to work life balance as pionopete suggests and if you are to remain in teaching, you should start looking sooner rather than later so you can get off the medication and start to feel better.

See if you can find some free career advice. Perhaps ask your university or there are books from libraries. Don't limit yourself to education. Advertising agencies need people who can write. Perhaps change completely by retraining. Plumbing and especially heating engineers are in high demand.

If you are going to change you might have to be prepared to do some retraining, but the money will be worth it if you pick something in a shortage area.

The first step is to start a plan to make some changes and once you decide to do that, you will start to feel better.

lswow likes this.
  4. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

If you aren't tied to the UK, come and teach overseas... seriously. I just made the switch to teaching in an Internation School from the UK state sector; despite taking on more responsibility (I'm now HoD) I'm actually working less.

The grass is, in fact, greener.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Seriously. What tb9605 said. Better your teaching 'them forryners' than not teaching at all ;)

LikeAnExpert and lswow like this.
  6. yesminister

yesminister New commenter

You could join the BBC as a writer maybe? Write soaps like Corrie, etc. I don't know how competitive it is to get in though. To be honest though, there's tonnes of English graduates out there all looking for work. Come and work in China and earn £3000 NET per month plus free accommodation and ESL/ English as a second language mainly teaching although there's some 1st language too. You can rent your house out for £500-£600 a month at the same time don't forget thus getting someone else to pay off your debt.

lswow likes this.
  7. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

It is very tough and it doesn't always get easier. Some department heads are very understanding but there is so much pressure now with the new GCSEs that I can't see how it can be easier especially for pupils who need more support and the teachers that teach them.

Why don't you look online and get job ideas? maybe make a list of jobs that sound interesting and speak with some recruitment agencies. There may a totally new career option that may be appealing.

Last week, a young English teacher was crying because of workload and behaviour. Even though the school staff are really good and supportive, the job is still challenging.

I wish you all the best.

8. I think you should enjoy yourself and leave the rest to the students because if students don’t listen to you than you doesn’t need to cry for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2017
  9. JeffNev

JeffNev New commenter

Personally, I am glad that I managed to get out of the profession before it turned into what it is today. A friend of my son has been teaching an international school in northern Italy for the last couple of years and is having an excellent time earning better money than he was on in the UK. I would recommend exploring this avenue.