1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quitting PGCE - Job options?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by fintyadams, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Hi, my partner is thinking of quitting his Primary PGCE and we are trying to think of other job options. He is absolutely fabulous in the classroom and always has great feedback that his teacher presence is second to none, but the planning and stress has taken its toll and he hasn't slept properly in weeks.

Has anyone got any ideas of jobs that can harness his talent without the planning. I think going back into a classroom to cover teach would be too demoralising, knowing that you have given up the option to do it yourself? I am trying to help as much as possible, but I am myself doing my PGCE and am lucky enough to have a job lined up for September, so finding it tough to think of other options.

Thanks!

2. Hi, my partner is thinking of quitting his Primary PGCE and we are trying to think of other job options. He is absolutely fabulous in the classroom and always has great feedback that his teacher presence is second to none, but the planning and stress has taken its toll and he hasn't slept properly in weeks.

Has anyone got any ideas of jobs that can harness his talent without the planning. I think going back into a classroom to cover teach would be too demoralising, knowing that you have given up the option to do it yourself? I am trying to help as much as possible, but I am myself doing my PGCE and am lucky enough to have a job lined up for September, so finding it tough to think of other options.

Thanks!

3. Hi,
    Am in the same boat myself so know completely what he is going through. Too much time spent away from my family and what is most important to me. The pay doesn't justify it, so if it is not a 100% passion, it is severely demoralising. Is he going to quite partway through, or will he reach the end of this year? The main difference is that he would then be a qualified teacher, albeit without NQT status. This would mean he could teach adult education, work in education for museums, local authorities etc, language schools, and even do supply if he had to. I know that is not ideal, but it is a job. Not so sure if he quits now though.
    Hope that helps and best wishes to you both.