1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quitting PGCE?! Advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by peachypig, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Hi, just looking for advice or thoughts really..

I am currently on a SCITT course and started my second placement at the start of January and the more that time goes on the more and more I dislike it and realise that teaching is not for me, it is just not the right fit for me and my personality and I am sure of this.
    I had experience teaching abroad and really enjoyed it which is why I applied here (although I did have my doubts about teaching in the UK and whether or not it was really for me and god I wish I'd listened to my doubts.)

My course mentors are extremely supportive and my school is supportive too however I find the workload too much, the anxiety too much and I'm just not enjoying the whole experience at all. If I could go back in time I would 100% not apply for teacher training at all.

My predicament is whether to quit now or see the course through and I feel completely lost and I'm having many sleepless nights.

I have spoken to my course provider and my family and to some extent the school and have been convinced to see the course through as it is now February and the course finishes in June. At first I felt positive about this, especially because at least I will have a qualification to show for it as well as other things for example as part of my course we're going to do some first aid training. Yet the more days that pass the more miserable i'm becoming..... I dread Sundays knowing i have to plan for tomorrow and have another week ahead of me...I currently have lessons to plan for tomorrow and 0 motivation knowing that I don't want to go to school, I don't want to teach etc and I keep getting stomach aches and mouth ulcers due to the constant battle in my head

On the other hand, if I do drop out i'm terrified about how this will look on my CV... what would I put? Completed one placement? I also feel like I have learnt a lot from teaching so far that would be really useful in other jobs, like communication etc but I can't talk about that without saying that I dropped out..:(

Realistically financially, I think that even if I do decide to drop out, I'm probably going to have to carry on with the course whilst I look for jobs to ensure I still get some income from my bursary, as if I drop out and don't find a job for ages for example I'm screwed... but then again how would that look?! How can I explain to a potential employer that I am currently on a course but willing to drop out at any moment...:rolleyes:

Any one else in a similar situation or can offer any advice?! Feeling very lost right now

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

So you are currently partway through your second placement and not enjoying it. How was the first placement? Do you go back there after the second placement, or are you at the second placement until June?

Teaching in the UK clearly isn't suiting you, but you say you really enjoyed teaching abroad. Would you like to go back abroad, or are you planning to stay in the UK? It isn't worth making yourself so unhappy just to have a qualification if it's not one you are likely to use (ie. if you're staying in the UK, where it's unlikely you'll want to teach). On the other hand, if you might like to go abroad then the qualification could be very useful, and the short-term unhappiness might be worth it for the long-term benefits of having QTS.

Don't worry about your CV. Trying something, realising it's really not for you, and not finishing... that's really not anything shocking or horrifying. Many, many people drop out of university, leave a job after a short period of time, etc. One 'blip' like this on your CV won't stand out as anything particularly unusual to employers. So try not to let this cloud or colour your decision.

blueskydreaming and agathamorse like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I would say continue - life is not at all 'rosy' in the job world and at least you will have a qualification.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

If you can finish it, finish it. A British PGCE qualification carries some credibility overseas and there are other jobs where it comes in handy.

Have a look at what elements of the job are causing you the most problems. If it's workload, try to be organised but yes, remember that you only have a couple of months left and you may have to more or less give up having a life until that's done.

As for lesson planning - well, don't feel the need to be creative. Grab the standard text book, work out what the students have to do, think how you could make that easier for the weak ones, harder for the more able, slap on an interesting starter and a clear plenary, and - well there you go, really.

Whats making you anxious? Observations? Well - if all you need to do is pass, don't knock yourself out. If its behaviour - that's a tougher call, frankly. But at least you're not trying to impress anyone now.

Once you have made up your mind to stay around long enough to collect the certificate, things do become easier all round.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. RuthNicholson1995

RuthNicholson1995 New commenter

Sorry to hear that you are feeling like this! I was feeling exactly the same up until this week, where I've decided to pause my course or suspend it as it is called. Rather than put all of your work to waste, how about giving yourself some time to think things over and perhaps pick up where you left off next February? I have also found this course very challenging, but by choosing to suspend the course, have been able to weigh up all of my options. :)

blueskydreaming likes this.
  6. L0ttieloulou

L0ttieloulou New commenter

I’m feeling exactly the same. I’m doing a school direct course in primary Ed and hating it. Everyone I speak to tells me I have to carry on with it but l don’t even know if I can make it the next 4 months to finish it

7. Hi

Hope ur well just to share my story I was exactly in the same position and what I decided to do.was defer till September. I did this at the start of Feb and I don't regret it. It's helped me work out what I want to do. Some times u have to bite the bullet n put yourself first no point doing something half heartedly at least this way u can do whatever you wish to your best.