1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quitting during NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by charlottelouise5, Feb 24, 2019.

1. charlottelouise5

charlottelouise5 New commenter

Hi all,

Question from a very anxious and stressed NQT. I failed Autumn term and to be honest, whilst my head has said I am making progress, I feel like I will possibly fail Spring too - which has got me feeling very anxious about Summer!

I am a NQT in year 2 where I feel like everything I am doing is being watched, much more than my fellow NQT in year 1. Everyday I go home crying because I feel like my best just hasn’t been good enough for my headteacher (who has been observing me daily, and providing support). Whilst I am grateful for all the support I am being given I am now debating if the school, year 2 or even teaching is for me!

Does it look bad if I hand my notice in to leave at Easter, which would mean leaving halfway through my NQT year? It worries me that I may not get another job, but I am also worried that I may continue till summer, fail my NQT year and then never teach again.

Sorry for the major rambling!

patternandsurface likes this.
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If they are going to fail your summer term they'll tell you in advance, so you can quit. If you quit during a term then it doesn't count towards the NQT year, and an 'interim' report will be done instead. That will mean you'll have one term remaining, if you quit in the summer term.

If you quit now, to leave at Easter, you'll have 2 terms remaining. It may be easier to get another job with 2 terms remaining.

When you apply for other NQT positions explain that you're looking for a supportive school where you can complete the remainder of the induction. Be honest at interview. A supportive school will appreciate that sometimes you just can't make it work at one particular school, and won't write you off.

I speak from experience :)

3. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

Have to agree with @blueskydreaming. You are not the only one, nor will you be the last. If you have been told that you have ‘failed’ the first term...well, that would set alarm bells ringing for me. You cannot fail in term one or term two, only at the end of the year. For terms one and two your school should be identifying areas for improvement and supporting you through that.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

stop worrying

you are hating it

So what if it doesn't work out. You will find something better, that suits you more. ( Like thousands of us wish we had, before we became entrenched)

Do your best, and see how it goes, but don't waste you life feeling axnious and stressed, it'll work out, or you find something better, thats all.

patternandsurface and Shedman like this.