1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quit teaching... help

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by up869560, Sep 20, 2018.

1. up869560

up869560 New commenter

I have decided to quit my teaching job as the stress and management of poorly behaved children was ruining my mental health. I have been suffering from panic attacks, numerous breaks down and physical tiredness to the point of not being able to function normally anymore.
    Despite really loving teaching, I have made the decision that secondary school children really wasn’t for me and am now becoming more and more anxious as I am looking at the options I have to start a new career.
    I have been looking at some admin jobs but don’t really have much experience (apart from the daily teacher admin duties, that I guess are already better than nothing).
    Does anyone have any experience in doing such a thing or am I silly to believe it would even be possible...? I am really wanting a break from teaching this year and am struggling to see the light...
    Thank you for your help!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. eamonne1

eamonne1 New commenter

as a stopgap try working for the 111 service. decent pay and working conditions and if anybody swears at you you can put the phone down.
    Good luck` there is another life out there. Just make sure you get a good reference. all the besyt

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and please let us all know as there are thousands thinking about making the same move. Leave the key to the escape tunnel hanging on the hook please!

Summerhols6, suzyshepster and pepper5 like this.
  4. Gi83_CL

Gi83_CL New commenter

How are you getting on? I'll hopefully be doing the same at the end of this academic year.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. mishelli1990

mishelli1990 New commenter

Hi,

Just wondering how things are going? I am hoping to take a step away from teaching after this year, due to the same reasons and behaviours you mention in your post.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Sorry to hear. I was the same before I moved abroad to teach, and have never looked back. Are you in a position to give the international circuit a try? I've totally fallen back in love with teaching again and have a great work/life balance. British kids and management are absolutely vile...I will never come back until that country learns how to value people and not that horrid blame culture

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I work as a supply teacher and it is getting more and more difficult for me to get work since there are so many schools I won't go to because of the extreme behaviour.

This situation has been going on for years and I used to think it would change - but nine years on and it hasn't.

I can't move abroad but that might be an option for the OP as long as they do their research well.

There are some great schools but the majority of them, at least where I live, are in RI and have become places which are very difficult to teach in.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

regarding all the locals being in RI. Long term the only we we as a so called profession can improve that is for teh unions to withdraw all staff from such schools. But we won't.

Summerhols6 and pepper5 like this.
  9. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences, but I can't let this grossly unfair comment pass without challenge.
    There are unpleasant kids and bad schools and appalling headteachers and SLTs - that's clear. But there are also the opposite, and to tar all British kids with the adjective "vile" is unacceptable. It depends entirely on the school and the area where you teach.
    If you come to the school where I am at the moment you will find a gifted and competent head and small SLT, who are trusted and respected by all, a great team spirit in the staffroom and some of the most amazing students you could ever wish to meet.

AmandaFW likes this.
  10. unicorn720

unicorn720 New commenter

in 2017 I took the decision to start applying to non teaching jobs. As a maths teacher (with a now 'out of date' engineering degree) I felt I had limited options in my late 20's. I applied to a variety of jobs from working with vulnerable adults/young people to the uniformed services. In my experience you get a lot of "why would you leave teaching to do ...X, Y or Z" and a lot of "But they are crying out for maths teachers, surly there's more money in teaching than this job". The challenge is convincing them in interview you won't run back to a school. I did meet some resistance where people made an assumption about teachers.

But on the upside you have loads of skills! You manage peoples behaviours, you plan to tight and ever changing deadlines, you manage difficult workloads and what I think is important is that you know just how to communicate with such a wide range of people without coming across as patronising. I always try to get over I'm looking for a change of career and bring my knowledge of working with young people with complex needs into the role (I have taught in SEN, PRU's and the care sector). Again it's all about what you're applying for. I received really good feedback just because I came across as professional which again is another skill I believe that's taken for granted. I have now secured a flexible role where I can still do some supply work until my full time position starts next year.

It cant be done. You meet a lot of ex teachers in roles you never expected so it's been done before and can be done again!:)

11. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Hi! I left teaching this year for similar reasons and after a number of bust ups with incompetent management. I felt I wouldn't get a good reference. So I became a home tutor. It's great, self employed, still teaching my subject, no idiot ofsted or bullying management, kids are great. OK no big pension and I only get paid for the hours I work but I'm very happy and feel it is something I can do till I drop so no need for the big pension.

12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Brian, I'm so glad to hear this. I do hope you have found a good solution. I have done home tutoring over the years sometimes and had students from abroad stay with us. I've taken them out on a Wednesday (day without studying) and I've really enjoyed this work. They have come usually for up to a month for intensive English one to one and it is so good for them. Good luck for your future.

13. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Josie thanks for your kind words.

14. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

You know Brian, there are children worldwide who are learning English and would give anything to come over for a few weeks to stay with a family and study English. Their parents just want to know that they are somewhere where they are safe and happy. In fact, my husband and I have often been invited back to have a holiday with the family afterwards. Many of mine came from Como, via a teacher-friend, and I know Como so well as a result of doing this wonderful work. I do hope you get enjoyment from the work you choose to do. It isn't all bad in the teaching world.