1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quit my GTP but I can still arrange skills tests!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sarahjoy88, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    Due to family health problems and deciding secondary teaching was not for me, I quit my GTP in late November. I had a maths skills test scheduled for tomorrow, that I have cancelled. I am baffled that I can still go on the website, and change/arrange skills tests. I have the ICT and Literacy tests. I
    I am now working as a TA in a primary school, and would like to apply for a primary PGCE for the 2013-2014 intake. I have arranged the numeracy test for January, even though I am no longer on the course. Will I still be able to attend this, or is this a glitch with the system?

2. Hi there,
    Due to family health problems and deciding secondary teaching was not for me, I quit my GTP in late November. I had a maths skills test scheduled for tomorrow, that I have cancelled. I am baffled that I can still go on the website, and change/arrange skills tests. I have the ICT and Literacy tests. I
    I am now working as a TA in a primary school, and would like to apply for a primary PGCE for the 2013-2014 intake. I have arranged the numeracy test for January, even though I am no longer on the course. Will I still be able to attend this, or is this a glitch with the system?

3. You have to take your QTS skills tests within 12 months of qualifying or they expire. If you aren't going to be on a course potentially until 2013-14 then you would need to wait until you have been accepted onto that course and then you would be able to do your skills tests. If you do them now they won't be any good to you.
    I am currently on a flexible Primary PGCE which means my course runs from April 11 to July 12 and I had to wait until September 11 before I could book my tests due to the expiration factor.
    Kellou

4. I was told once you pass a skills test the tda has it on their register, and you don't need to take it again, regardless of the time that passes between courses?

5. sorry for the delay, I haven't been anywhere near TES over xmas.
    As far as I am aware, my uni and pearson skills centre advised me that I couldn't take my testsa until after September due to them expiring after a year if I hadn't graduated within that time. With BA students they can only do them in their third year of studies or in their 4th year if their QTS is an additional year.
    You would need to contact your local pearson centre or possibly the TDA as I have completely different info to you but I passed all 3 and I graduate in July so I fall within the rules that they gave me. They will have the correct info for you.
    Kellou

6. I have just checked the TDA website and on the frequently asked questions section on the QTS skills tests someone has asked if they can complete their skills tests now even if they don't plan on starting teacher training until sept 2013. The answer given is no and you have to wait until your final year of study.
    Hope this helps
    Kellou

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The system is set to change and the skills tests will in future be used for entry onto ITT programmes ao if you can sit and pass they may be usuable next yeart but suggst you email TDA for a definitive answer

8. Hi Sarahjoy and all,
    I am doing a GTP and I hate it. It's destroying my soul and I am desperate to quit. Theres no way I can manage the year. To those who have quit GTPs, were they TDA funded? I really want to quit it but I don't know if I'd be liable to pay the university fees that the TDA were paying? How does one go about quitting?

9. Hello,

Just wondered how you got on? i am thinking about quitting but worried I might be liable to pay the fees?

10. Hello. I have a similar problem. I'm currently 5 months into a GTP and have been offered a much better job that isn't teacher related. I'd be a fool not to take it as it's in my field and double a teaching salary. In fact I'd have to teach for over 12 years to match my starting salary in this new job. I'm wondering how difficult it was to quit the GTP with regards to notice given, salary grants etc...
    Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks