1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quiet discussions. How to create an atmosphere of quiet, eager discussion?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pipcart, Jun 7, 2016.

1. pipcart

pipcart New commenter

Getting students to discuss work is really important, but I'm sure we are all familiar with the challenge of keeping the noise level right for more than a short period. What are your favourite strategies for achieving the right volume and atmosphere?

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Is this a real workplace dilemma? May be better posted elsewhere.

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Bribery, chocolate and prayer....

4. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Music. If I can't hear the music they're too loud. Worked really well with year 1 & 2. It got to the stage where they were requesting it so that they could concentrate because it made them all focus. Instrumental world music is really good.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Clear task, clear roles, clear expectations.

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes, that does work a great deal better ;)

7. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

For me it starts at the beginning of the year with clear expectations about good/effective learning partner characteristics. I tell them why this is important, citing a few studies/ educational theories and then spend the fist 6 weeks constantly highlighting good instances of supportive discussion. After that, its just a matter of choosing things that are interesting to discuss. :) Oh, I like a noisy classroom so not sure about "quiet" discussion but I have used the music as mentioned by @Billie73 and it seems to work.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

And you get to eat the chocolate!

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Music does work well. A low volume and a slow piece. It's known that it lowers heart rate. Much easier to induce a calm, reflective atmosphere.

10. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Enaudi is my fave - they love it surprisingly and it really helps them get into the concentration zone.