1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quiet critters

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by celago22, Aug 20, 2019.

1. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I've read lots of blogs recently about quiet critters as a behaviour management tool. For anyone not aware of what these are, they're basically pom pom balls with googly eyes and foam feet and they don't like noise! They only come out of their soundproof jar when it's quiet and sit next to children who are quiet. At the end of each week, each child on the table with the most critters, wins a prize.

My question is, what are your thoughts on using quiet critters in lower ks2? Do you think they would work or are they more ks1?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Might well work at A Level!

3. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Have we really got to the point where stuffed toys have more authority than teachers?

O tempora! O mores!

4. celago22

Haha! Point made! I think I will give this a miss and just stick with table points!!

5. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Ive never heard of it, but it's quite sweet actually. Then again I'm year 1, but I think it's a good idea to get them starting off on the right foot. Maybe you don't need individual ones- perhaps a class pet of sorts.

6. celago22

Thanks, I could do the quietest child or table gets class pet! I just want something engaging because they're a challenging class. Quiet critters would work with your y1s!

7. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

I hadn't heard of those. Love the idea! But I agree that it would only work for the little ones. It only takes one class clown to start moving them around and before you know it, you're spending time tracking down the goggly eyed pom poms!

8. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Is there anything in particular you want to reward? Perhaps we can think of some other suggestions?

For those who quietly get on with it, I find it really rewarding to make a point of phoning home or even better sending a postcard of praise. This isn't very public unless the student mentions it themselves but that can be part of the appeal and work to slowly reinforce positive behaviour.

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Critters or Tribbles?