1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Year 6 Literacy query

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Nov 27, 2011.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hello teachers - specifically those in the Year 6 know. Do you plan your literacy from the Literacy Strategy units or do you plan according to the text types in prep for SATS - non chron reports, recount, instruction, explanation, persuasive texts, discussion texts? Are these all the text types and in the writing SAT are these what will come up? I seem to be a bit confused - new to y6 and the units on the standards site don't actually link to these texts types as such.

Thanks in advance :)

2. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

hello. ive taught year 6 for four years now. usually i teach from the framework for autumn term then do each text type for two weeks in spring. this year however i am ignoring the framework completely and am planning one or two week units focusing on a different text type with a heavy focus on grammar and improving work. i just found the chikdren were not doing enough writing following the phases from the framework and it just wasnt doing the job it needed to do for my class particularly my weaker writers. to make it more interesting i try to use fiction books eg the zoo by anthony browne and link the text types to it so through this we did instruction persuasion discussion and recounts.
    what i have found is that my children do not have the imagination in the sats tests to come up with ideas to use so we focus alot on quick planning too and tellig thrm that it is ok to make things up. sorry its very long! hope it helps. if you want any help or planning etc then email me at maharvey83@yahoo.com

3. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hi Groovy Shell
    Thank you so so much. That clears things up a lot for me! Were all the text types I listed the full list? I too feel that the framework doesn't seem to cover everything - unless I am missing something!!

4. groovyshell83

im covering autobuographies, biographies, newspapers, playscripts and story writing too. there hasnt been a fiction piece in a while so could come up

5. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Don't forget that with the new teacher assessment regulations, all bets are off!
    I would go for covering what is in the framework/scheme of work this year and in greater depth to get better quality writing, unless you have opted for externally marked papers.
    Does anyone know if the externally marked paper will be the same as the internally marked one which can be downloaded from February onwards?

6. Hi
    We received some training last week from the authority who told us there are 2 different writing papers, the one in February will be different to the externally marked paper.
    Hope this helps

7. groovyshell83

any ideas what the papers will involve?