1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

quick survey - preferred y7 and y8novel

Discussion in 'English' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Hi

I'm writing new schemes of work for next term and we're starting with a novel.
    I'm trying to jiggle things around and have a bit of a change. We have done:
    Y7 - Skellig, Two weeks with the Queen
    Y8 - holes, Stone Cold, the boy in the striped pyjamas

I'm thinking of moving The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas to y7 (need to link up with history dept re holocaust) and possibily doing the play version of Two Weeks with the Queen. Both for later in the year.

I need to decide asap so we can order in the novels needed for sept...
    My current choices are between:
    Y7 - Millions, Artemis Fowl or one of Malorie Blackman's novels
    Y8 - Journey to the River Sea, Stone Cold, point blanc or....???

What do you think?

2. Hi there,

We have The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in Year 7 and Stone Cold in Year 8. Kids seem to really enjoy both.

3. Isn't 'Stone Cold' a bit heavy on the sexual reference and bad language for Y8? Or am I hopelessly old fashioned?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Haven't read Stone Cold but if it includes obvious sexual references and offensive bad language I'd be with you sarahstevo! Let's be old-fashioned together.I know we live in a very different world these days and what is 'offensive' is slightly different to our students (and their young parents) bu I believe as teachers we should be somewhat 'role models' and demostrate high standards of what is and is not acceptable.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Should have read 'demonstrate', of course.
    Now what was I saying about high standards? Obviously I need to remember to proof-read before pressing 'enter', as certain keys are playing up on this laptop.

6. Hi there,

I'm head of department and currently having exactly the same dilemma. I've been teaching Holes for Y8 for the past few years, which has been brilliant. Really need a change because a lot of them have read it already/seen the film so I'm trying to find a similar replacement (kids they can relate to on an adventure etc..).

This is a very old post, but just wondering what you decided on and how it worked out.

Thanks

7. How about Unique(cloning/ identity etc) or Abomination for yr 8? And then there's The Merrybrgot
    Our kids love Unique. Also Dear Nobody - although currently yr 9
    Additionally we have relocated modern play blood brothers from KS4 to KS3 YR8 ( I know it's aplay but don't you find it's always a struggle to find suitable modern plays for KS3?

8. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Private Peaceful's enjoyable, there's a lot you can do with it. There's potential for cross-curricular links to History too.
    I utterly despise Stone Cold, and other Swindells books (did Brother in the Land last year, hated it). It's okay for a low-ability class but personaly I think PP would be more challenging for year 8.

9. I have just read Chris Priestley's Uncle Montagues Tales of Terror with Year 7, it's been fantastic. Really well written so lots of analysis and great writing task spin offs too. They loved it. A colleague taught Once to other year 7s who loved that too and has Then and Now for follow ups for the students to read alone. Year 8 top set loved Susan Hill's The Man in the Picture - a shorter alternative to Woman in Black but with all the tension and 4 narrators for analysis on structure and voice.