1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucywag, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Should focus children (the children that haven't made enough progress this year so far) be told that they are focus children or is that just something I should worry about and leave the children to it? What about their parents?
    I feel like I should know the answer to this and it's probably too late in the year to ask at school without looking completely clueless so thought I could ask here!

2. I teach Reception and I tell the parents so they can support children at home (I'm quite precise with ways they can help), wouldn't tell the children though, they don't need to know what level they're at. Perhaps it might be beneficial for older children though.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How old are they?
    From year 3 upwards I feel it's beneficial that they know they have to work extra hard in .... area as they need a little bit of help here. I really try to keep it all positive, constantly reminding them of what they are good at and what progress they have made.
    If they don't know what they have to do to to improve then they can't improve.

4. Oops, meant to say - they're year 4!
    I
    Totally agree - this makes sense! Thank you for your help.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, definitely not. "Hey kid, you haven't learned enough this year, so I'm going to be keeping a special eye on you this term!" No of course they shouldn't.
    You shouldn't be worrying about it either. Work out who hasn't made progress, work out what they need to do to progress, teach them that. Done, sorted. No worrying needed.
    I would tell them, if they ask or if there is a parents evening, that I'm a little concerned about progress in this or that. Then give ideas as to what the child needs to do to move to the next level and how they can help. But I still wouldn't tell them their child is a 'focus child'.