1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

quick question

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jun 11, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Someone contacted me with a query about the status of RE. I sort of know but guess many here will know exactly so I'm asking you rather than research into it. Weekend pressures so cutting corners for time.

Question

My understanding of RE is that in high school its a statutory subject but a friend of mine has informed me that essentially it is not a statutory subject because the actual content that is taught is non statutory unlike science, maths and PE

It is a compulsory subject. It must be taught to all our students - I think this is up to the end of year . But RE is not bound however by any 'National Curriculum' fixed syllabus as the 'Powers that Be' recognise that we have to respond to the students in our classrooms and our community - as well as local / national / international news etc in a way which is unique to RE. because it is about life. That's one of the things that make it such an important and interesting subject, so relevant to the lives of our students

Thats why in each area there is a local SACRE (I think this stands for standing advisory committee for Religious Education) which meets regularly to give guidance and prepare a syllabus which is designed to support local requirements. (Google this and you'll get a much more coherent answer.)

Our school does not have to follow the syllabus set by our own local SACRE and can choose to use any recognised SACRE syllabus - or, with the support and agreement of the area RE advisor - adapt one to our needs. (I did a unit on Rastafarianism once with non GCSE year !0's for example, after discussing it with my local advisor.

I will copy this bit of your question and put it on the forum - but from me as I would like to be clearer and there will be a lot who know exactly how it is defined.

2. durgamata

should read 'year 11 - eleven.

3. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I'm sure sixth forms (11-18) that RE is also statatory - not that all colleges impliment this

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

RE is a statutory requirement for schools and has been since the Butler Act produced in 1944. All maintained schools within England and Wales must provide some form of Religious Education between the ages of 4 and 19. Whether this is in the form of assembly, combined PHSE or actual subject lessons. This is one reason why many schools choose to make RS GCSE compulsory as they feel that if they have to teach it they may as well get the pupils a qualification. (makes sense to me!)
    All schools will be attached to a SACRE in the local area who produce a Locally Agreed Syllabus directing what should be taught. Some, like my own, are very loose and just suggest the teachings of all religions and the need to meet themes such as belief in God. Others may be more directed and point out what topics should be covered at which KS.
    Though RE is statutory it is not a core subject such as English and Maths.

5. I think you will find that it isn't adequate to deliver RE as part of an assembly, RE and Collective Worship are quite separate. Also not all schools now (with the changes in education) are linked with a SACRE, unfortunately. You also haven't mentioned the right of withdrawal.

6. durgamata

thanks for all this. I will get back to the questioner with it and see if it suffices.