1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by johnberyl, May 14, 2011.

1. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

2. johnberyl

Sorry -didn't realise earlier post was missing.
    my question is who should write reports for subjects taught during my ppa time?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

In my last school (have now left so no more reports for me) the person who took PPA wrote the reports and I just checked over them. It would have been hard for me to write the reports as they were teaching all of the Art curriculum.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The person who teaches the subjects. I can't possibly comment on French or RE as I've never taught my class either. Similarly I can't comment on games/team sports as someone else teaches that.

5. johnberyl

thanks for your replies - is this always the case?

6. As others, person who does those subjects write those report comments.
    Out of interest, my cover is a qualified teacher. Does anyone have subjects covered by LSAs/HLTAs and if so, are they expected to write the report comments?

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Nope, we set in my school but still write all subjects for the children in our class, not the children in sets. I also wrote the report for the subjects taught during my NQT time. The way the school see it is that as class teachers we should know where all our children are, in all subjects. I liased with other staff and had a good look through the books to write them, took forever!

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

My PPA time was covered by HLTA and she expected to write the reports.

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

That's a ridiculous situation.
    The Deputy covers my PPA and has taught Science all year, so she will be writing the reports. She has kept me updated on their progress, and I have looked at their Science books but I wouldn't be able to write detailed comments about the children's Science work because I haven't taught, marked or assessed it.

10. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I agree with you lardy! Just have to do as im told!!!

11. I don't see how you can write a report if you haven't taught the subject - seems ridiculous to me. The only way I could do it would be to have a long and detailed discussion about each child with the teacher who did teach the lessons - in which case, that teacher might as well write them anyway. When I did PPA cover, I wrote reports and handed them to the CT on a USB stick for them to copy and paste. We also write for our numeracy set and hand over in the same way, with a comment at the top of the box saying 'Miss 1974 reports that...' so parents know who has written each section.

12. johnberyl

That's the problem. This year I have a HLTA teaching my PPA subjects - previously the cover teacher always wrote the reports for Music and RE. But I've been asked to write the reports this time.

13. I have to write reports for subjects taught by a supply teacher during my NQT time and by a TA during my PPA time.
    I'm going to find it hard enough writing about the subjects I've actually taught, let alone those I haven't!

14. johnberyl

Thought I'd post to say that I've taken advice from my union who say I definitely should not be writing the reports.