1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question regarding Y1 EAL pupil in Numeracy.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by star17, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm an NQT teaching a Year 1 class, including a girl who is brand new to English. Some lessons she has been able to fully access due to use of visual resources, e.g. when the pupils were naming 2D and 3D shapes I had picture cards for her to match the shapes to which worked well. However, I am now moving on to getting the pupils to describe the properties of 2D and 3D shapes next week. I wasn't sure how I could help her to access this 'language focused' target and other similar lessons, where the focus is on using the vocab.
    I want to move her on as I know she can recognise and match the shapes to their correct picture label and therefore don't want to keep doing matching activities. Any ideas? EAL co-ordinator at school currently ill so any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

2. Hi all,
    I'm an NQT teaching a Year 1 class, including a girl who is brand new to English. Some lessons she has been able to fully access due to use of visual resources, e.g. when the pupils were naming 2D and 3D shapes I had picture cards for her to match the shapes to which worked well. However, I am now moving on to getting the pupils to describe the properties of 2D and 3D shapes next week. I wasn't sure how I could help her to access this 'language focused' target and other similar lessons, where the focus is on using the vocab.
    I want to move her on as I know she can recognise and match the shapes to their correct picture label and therefore don't want to keep doing matching activities. Any ideas? EAL co-ordinator at school currently ill so any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

3. I have taught EAL children from Y1 - Y6 and found that as much of the language of shape is new to most Y1's you should just proceed as per the other children and use the shape language as much as possible, really practical tasks with lots of 'show me the...' type questions. Dont dum down the langauge you'll be suprised how much she will pick up from copying the other children in the class - use the kids they really are a great resource.

4. Thank you for your advice.