1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question lesson observation on LO: written method TU X U (Yr 4)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by monkey1, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hi Guys
    A quick question really - I am due to be observed by the headteacher on Tuesday and the lesson I have on my medium term plan is using the written method to calculate TU X U. It is for a year 4 class.
    My class are not great on their x table knowledge (only 3 of my maths set know their 6,7,8,9 x tables). I was wondering is it okay to give them x table grids to help them with x tables as the LO is using the written method to calculate TU X U not to know x table facts. I want to challenge the children and want the head to see them making progress - but am worried if they had x table grids he would think they are not being challenged - but if they didn't have them they would spend time in the lesson listing those x tables in order to work it out.
    What do you reckon?

2. Will he question them learning TU x U when they don't know their times tables?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But, if you follow the framework, in year 4 most of them wouldn't know these tables to a great extent, the HT won't be surprised at that. It is only in year 5 where they are supposed to 'learn' the last of the tables and in year 6 where they are expected to 'know' them all.

Can you not provide questions that do not need these tables for those who don't know them? If you are teaching a procedure, ie grid method multiplication, then that is what children need to make progress with. So have problems/questions that need calculations such as 24x3, meaning they can do the arithmetic easily.

Differentiation should enable all to make progress from where they are.

4. I did just that and lesson was graded outstanding.

5. I would have thought that if the point of the lesson is to understand how to multiply TU x U then that is the lesson, not a test of their times tables. I have always given my maths groups a times table square [it's stuck in the back of their books] and told them they can use it as long as the lesson is not a times tables test. It tends to lead to a better lesson 'cos those who lack confidence in their TT ability can concentrate on the point of the lesson rather than worrying about is 7 x 6 really 42...or is it 41!
    I have been observed doing this and have never had any adverse comments. I just make a point of always reminding the class that I need to see if they can do ...whatever... not whether they have learned their tables. Sometimes, being able to continually look it up actually helps them remember it, a bit like always checking a spelling in a dictionary. Eventually it sticks.
    HTH and good luck for the observation.

6. Some children and adults will never 'know' their times tables, but that doesn't mean to say that they shouldn't be taught how to calculate TU x U, or even more than that.They will be able to derive their times tables by working from a known times table, and it's totally acceptable to give them a times table grid to calculate bigger numbers. If you are teaching the grid method, they need to have an understanding of how to partition numbers, but knowing times tables is a different skill altogether.
    If you want to challenge your HA, use numbers with zero as a place holder, or decimal numbers. This is still within the chosen learning objective. And as the previous poster has said, just looking at the times tables grid might make some tables 'stick'.
    Good luck with the observation

7. Just wanted to say a big thankyou to those who replied to my original post.... I was observed today and the lesson went really well! I got very good - nearly outstanding. My teaching was judged as outstanding but too much noise during the main activity (only a mumble really for my class!)
    I am happy with the result but for once - one day I would just love to get told I am outstanding! So proud of my class though - so fab! Listened well and really enthusiastic about the lesson - that's what teaching is about :)