1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question for people with own children

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rc07, May 7, 2012.

1. rc07

rc07 New commenter

Hi all, I have a question for people with children - how much would you expect to pay for a babysitter? I have received an enquiry about some evening/weekend sitting for a family with four children including some SEN (don't know yet what the SEN is) and am going to ring the mum later to discuss it. I haven't babysat for anyone except friends and family (who I obviously don't charge) for a number of years and don't really know what the going rate is.

I am in my 20s, experienced teacher so well qualified to deal with SEN and children generally - they are not getting a teenager. I wouldn't expect lifts home or anything. They are based in London (Kensington) and as I mentioned four, presumably fairly young, children.

What would you suggest my rates are?

2. rc07

rc07 New commenter

Hi all, I have a question for people with children - how much would you expect to pay for a babysitter? I have received an enquiry about some evening/weekend sitting for a family with four children including some SEN (don't know yet what the SEN is) and am going to ring the mum later to discuss it. I haven't babysat for anyone except friends and family (who I obviously don't charge) for a number of years and don't really know what the going rate is.

I am in my 20s, experienced teacher so well qualified to deal with SEN and children generally - they are not getting a teenager. I wouldn't expect lifts home or anything. They are based in London (Kensington) and as I mentioned four, presumably fairly young, children.

What would you suggest my rates are?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think the rate depends on what you are expected to do and the age and degree of special needs of the children. I wouldn't touch it for less than £40 an hour.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is this because
    • you are you and you are worth it?
    • there may NOT be a bath filled with chocolate for you to bathe in?
    • they live in Kensington and are therefore loaded?

5. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I'd rather stay in than pay £40 an hour!

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Daytime rates are higher than evening rates, when presumably the children are in bed and you just need to be in the house.
    After midnight is also a higher rate.

I used to get £5 an hour when I was 14 in the daytime, and £3 after bedtime... and that was 20 years ago.
    You can factor in inflation for yourself.

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Make sure it is just babysitting and recognised as such. You are just a reasonably responsible person who is supervising their children in their absence. You aren't employed as someone with experience or skills with children or Special Needs; if you were, you'd need to have public liability insurance and be a registered childcare provider.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I understand going rate is about a tenner an hour.

9. Forty pounds an hour is laughably high as a fee. I would never pay that much!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This would be my main reason. But, as I said, this could be a heavy number if it's during the day when the children are all awake and some have special needs.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Good point. The OP did mention evenings and weekends. But £40 an hour?
    This is a different world to the one I live in and one that might appeal at those rates of pay.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

per child?

13. bristolmover

bristolmover New commenter

I occasionally babysit and charge £20 an evening or £30 for more than one child. Seems worth it for a night in front of the telly

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG]

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Just because you wouldn't pay that much doesn't mean to say that affluent folk in Kensington wouldn't. Often the more you charge the more sought after you are.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I they have 4 kids, live in Kensington and can afford to go out then they must be minted!

17. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Babysitting four children? You must be mad!
    You couldn't pay me enough and I had four of my own, one of whom has ASD.
    Get a job in a pub instead. [​IMG]

18. I pay 6 € an hour as an evening rate during the week, if I really have to resort to a babysitter.
    I don't use babysitters during the day or at weekends, ever.
    I would not pay more. My kids are asleep, there is not a lot to do!

19. rc07

rc07 New commenter

Thank you for the replies.
    dozymare1957 yes, possibly mad. I've done pub work in the past but would like babysitting since I'm not teaching currently and would like to be doing something child-related to keep a relevant thing on my CV. (I know that sitting isn't teaching, but it's flexible, would fit around my current work and might lead to tutoring or similar). I work away sometimes and a regular hours job in a pub could interfere with that, whereas babysitting is more flexible/changeable.
    I reckon £40 is a little steep (though if they offer I wouldn't say no!) but I would expect more that £6 an hour for four children unless they were all in bed all the time and I therefore had to do nothing. I earned £5 an hour ten or so years ago as a teenager.
    Thanks again all.

20. Go for 16 quid an hour (for 4 kids) + a rate of 25 quid an hour each hour after midnight.