1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question about resigning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by star17, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I am an NQT and have decided that I want to change schools and will be handing in my resignation letter next week. Got a few questions
    1) Do I give one letter addressed to Headteacher? Will she just forward it to governors or do I need to write a seperate one for them?
    2) As the reason that I'm leaving is due to negative factors about the school (not moving/got another job lined up/any thing) should I give any reason or just literally say that I am handing in my notice, effective of 31st August and thank the school for their support (?!)
    Thanks x

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

One letter adressed to headteacher and governors.
    You don't need to give a reason for resigning but if you must say something, I would put 'personal reasons' and say how much you've enjoyed working at the school etc etc...

3. You only need to give the one letter addressed to the Head. You don't have to explain your reasons for leaving or you can just give a fluffy reason and thank them for support.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is what I have done before in the past. Something along the lines of "I would like to resign my post with effect from 31st August 2011. Thank you for the support over the last year." And that is it. If you can't think of anything else positive to say, then say nothing at all. Definitely don't say anything negative.
    I've always addressed mine to the HT or to the Chair of Governors and put it in an envelope which I've put on the HTs desk.

Your resignation shouldn't really come as much of a surprise, should it? If it will then it is more polite to hand it to the HT in person and have a quick chat.

5. Thanks everyone for clarifying.