1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question about OCR 21st century science

Discussion in 'Science' started by Doodlebug1, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Doodlebug1

Doodlebug1 New commenter

I have ust returned from a tutoring session with a pupil(yr 11) who is currently doing this course. UNfortunately I have never taught this specification and was very unprepared (agency told me he was AQA) because I don't know much about it. We managed to get through some basic stuff after getting some info from him. I just have a couple of questions regarding the spec;
    He told me that he had competed the exams c1, b1, p1 and the twos and threes and wants to resit the fours in January, after looking at the ocr website I'm assuming he has completed Science A in yr 10 and is now doing Additonal Science A - is that right? I am aware that they changed the curriculum for starting teaching this year - would that mean the additional science would be the new curriculum or the old?

Thanks for any help

2. Doodlebug1

Doodlebug1 New commenter

I have ust returned from a tutoring session with a pupil(yr 11) who is currently doing this course. UNfortunately I have never taught this specification and was very unprepared (agency told me he was AQA) because I don't know much about it. We managed to get through some basic stuff after getting some info from him. I just have a couple of questions regarding the spec;
    He told me that he had competed the exams c1, b1, p1 and the twos and threes and wants to resit the fours in January, after looking at the ocr website I'm assuming he has completed Science A in yr 10 and is now doing Additonal Science A - is that right? I am aware that they changed the curriculum for starting teaching this year - would that mean the additional science would be the new curriculum or the old?

Thanks for any help

3. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

You are correct, he is able to take the old spec additional science B4 5 & 6 in june 2012 (or even January but he may be too late to register for Jan)

But, why resit b4 in Jan if he has not taken the exam yet ?

Has he done his Yr10 science coursework?

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Year 11 is the last hurrah of the old spec. I assume resit was a typo.
    Best wishes,
    P

5. Doodlebug1

Doodlebug1 New commenter

He told me he also completed b4, c4, p4 but was not happy with the results and therefore will be resiting in January.
    Is the coursework the practical investigation Unit 5? He did say that he had also taken a practical investigation as wedo something similar in AQA and asked if they did the same.Although he didn't tell me what mark he gained.
    I'm just looking at the spec again and realised there is a Unit 4 in Science A and additional science A Ideas in Context,is this taken at the same time as the other exams? Could he be referring to this instead thinking he completed the fours?
    He did say he got B's in the Physics and Biology and A in Chemistry (wanting all A's), although I didn't ask about UNit 4 or 5 (didn't know about them) I;m assuming that they round up these grades to give one grade for year 10 and one for yr 11, is that right?
    Thanks for your help