1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question about buying science resources

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Sorry, I guess the title isn't fitting. I did intend just to write a quick question but since I'm completely dedicated to making these lessons interesting and exciting for the children, I wanted to hear input from others. We're making recyled clothing too.

2. You should not be buying anything at all. Especially as a student.

3. I know that but the school doesn't have many science resources. I want to use trays of leaf litter, pooters etc so if I'm going to go ahead with what I plan to do, I'm going to have to buy some things. Good resources are not the be and end all I know, but they'll help to enhance my teaching and are good for interest. Can anyone suggest some websites please to buy science resources from? I try to spend as little as possible and buy only what I need, but I like buying a few resources and building up a collection of resources to use for the future, for when I have a class of my own. The magnifying glasses I bought for example, are excellent quality and were two for a pound from poundland. Every year on placement, there hasn't been enough for one between two so they've come in useful on so many occasions. I try to buy things as cheaply as I can but I don't know too many resource websites.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Look in the County Supplies catalogue which will probably be kept in the school office.
    Have you spoken about all of this to the science co-ordinator at your school? I'd give this a go first - in fact it's good practice to. They might be only to happy to buy the resources from the science budget.
    PFF offers good advice. It does seem like a lovely idea to build up your own little supply of resources, but most quickly learn that it's not a great idea. You will very quickly end up having to give a room in your house over to storing resources for work, and that is a horrible concept. Not one that I could bear, anyway.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

ahem.... *too happy*

6. I already have a room full of resources and don't mind one bit. Thanks for your advice. I'm going to get in touch with the science co-ordinator as soon as I can. They haven't been in school the last few days but I know it would be wise to ask before I buy them myself.

7. I have been told though that the school budget is currently very low and the school will only buy resources which are absolutely essential and I don't think they'll think that a few clear trays, pooters etc are absolutely essential.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Good, although I can assure you that the novelty wanes drastically after a few years.
    My main point over spending one's money on resources is that it completely skews the figures with regards to how much it costs to run a school. Schools are not charities and have to be managed like businesses in this respect. Spending your own money on resources will quite possibly have the knock-on effect of having the school's budget cut further as the running costs will appear to be lower.
    You work damn hard for your money (or will do, once qualified and being paid), so you shouldn't then effectively give some of that money back to the local authority by buying lots of resources.
    I guess it's an emotive issue because we work with children, but in no other profession would an employed professional spend their own salaries on the things they need to do their job.
    As a further thought though - has your university not got any resources you can borrow? Most do. Take advantage of this while you still can.

9. You're right and I completely understand the point you're making. The university does have resources. I'm not sure whether students can borrow them for placement but I'll certainly be asking. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. I don't have any specific advice on your question dancingqueen, but I just want to add to the query of whether you should buy your own resources or not.
    As a student/ supply teacher/ NQT I bought a fair few resources of my own. After I had settled in a particular key stage I found that I had a lot of things I no longer needed so I sold them on, mostly to students. This was great because I had made use of them, didn't need them anymore so got some money back, and knew I was helping out new teachers.
    Budget constraints in schools are tough, but there should be money set aside for curriculum resources etc. The worst i have ever experienced myself was a few years ago when by the end of February there was no money left in the school for photocopying paper or pencils for the kids. Us teachers had to buy these ourselves if we needed them. It was a long month till the new financial year started!
    Dancingqueen, good luck with your placement. You sound dedicated to the kids and determined to do well. just try not to do yourself out of money unnecessarily!
    Good luck [​IMG]

11. Thank you sparklyrainbowfish for your reply. I've emailed the university to ask if I can borrow resources. If they say no, would it be worth asking local schools? I know of other primary schools in the area. Not sure about secondary schools but I could always find out. My worry is that this is being taught right after easter and schools have broken up. Some have another week or so (where I live, don't know about elsewhere) but I'm off now for easter. That means I don't have much time but if I can borrow good quality resources, I'll do my best to.

Please can people suggest some good websites for science equipment if you know them? Thanks.

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

13. Thanks but I need to buy a set of pooters because I'd need at least 7 and don't want to spend anywhere near £20 on them.

14. marlin

I'm not sure what sort of trays for leaf litter you're looking for. Is this the sort of thing you need?
    http://www.nhbs.com/trays_eqcat_554-686-690-.html
    Actually, this site looks pretty good for your topic. Even if you don't buy from here it may suggest items that may be of use. Have you thought about how some of the things may be homemade? If you are doing recycling then it would be good for the children to make some of the equipment for themselves - if that's at all possible.

15. That would be nearly £28 at that price. No way that's happening. I'd faint if I spent that much on them. I'm going to see what the university say and if not, I'll check out Newton resources again. A pack of 5 pooters for £7 seems very reasonable indeed but I haven't checked out the site or the pooters yet. I hate buying from random websites that I've never used before. Has anyone used newton resources before? Is it a reliable website please? Please keep the website suggestions coming, even if they're just general websites for science resources. I don't mind if they sell pooters or not. General websites will still be of use to me for the future. Thanks!

16. Thanks. My comment before about £28 was about the pooters. It appreciated the suggestion but with the trays and the pooters, I'm going to have to look for a set of them or just look for cheap ones when I'm out shopping because while £3, £4 or whatever seems reasonable, I'd have about seven small groups for science and it all adds up. Thanks for the suggestion about homemade resources. It's definitely something I'm considering. I'm going to have to set homework so I'm trying to think of a couple of good projects I could set. Can you think of anything they could make please? They're a class who love being creative so the more creative the better[​IMG]

17. Sorry, I meant "I appreciate the suggestion". I can't seem to write in the correct tense today. I need to sort out my sleeping patterns so that I don't feel so tired all the time.

18. marlin

I thought you had found a pooter at £7 for 1 - not for a pack of 5! I see why my one at £3.99 was not a good deal [​IMG]
    Searching for pooters though brought me to this website:
    http://www.ise5-14.org.uk/prim3/new_guidelines/new_plan/P7/G21/Teachers_Guide/lt-d3_3.htm#TG
    It's a site called Improving Science Education. You might find some useful stuff here for your planning. There are links to click on. Obviously not all pertains to your current work, but some does and may be worth a look.

19. marlin

You've put the wrong link - this is the one I sent you.
    Anyway, I'm off out into the garden - have some plants to put in and tidying up to do - might see lots of minibeasts!
    BFN [​IMG]
    M