1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

quick maths query

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Aug 22, 2011.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

At the risk of sounding a bit simple here, can anyone please tell me what notation means? It's in relation to the collins numeracy scheme "decimal notation". Is it literally the recording? Sorry I may know it as something else but really having a blockage! Thanks :)

2. tick/star/smileyface

At the risk of sounding a bit simple here, can anyone please tell me what notation means? It's in relation to the collins numeracy scheme "decimal notation". Is it literally the recording? Sorry I may know it as something else but really having a blockage! Thanks :)

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I would say using decimals rather than fractions or remainders. Notation just means how it is written!

4. tick/star/smileyface

top marks a for a super speedy response! Thanks Carrie. Thought it was just how it was written. What did you mean RE: say using decimals rather than fractions or remainders? Thanks again!

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I'd say using decimal notation means writing 3.5 not 3 1/2 or 3 r1 for example.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Wot flickaz said!

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

so, for example, when dividing 17 by 5 first they would calculate
    3 remainder 2
    then 3 and 2/5
    and finally, using decimal notation

8. tick/star/smileyface

thank you - that is really helpful. In case it's not clear, I'm very new to key stage 2 and in particular y6 numeracy! Thanksx