1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick growing seeds

Discussion in 'Science' started by notateacheryet, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Does anyone know of any seeds that will grow quickly. The project will last 4 weeks starting 2 weeks today...I know, I know, the wrong season for expecting quick growth! The children have made greenhouses and we want to test whether they are effective. The seeds/plants will be out in the mini greenhouses, in a sunny spot during the day and in the classroom at night.
    Any suggestions? Thank you!
    Sally
    (P.s. Contrary to my user name I am actually qualified! I just kept the same TES account that I started years ago!)

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

<strike>Cress?</strike>
    Peas?
    As a gardener I'd chose peas,just make sure that it is warm enough and light enough. I'm sowing some of my vegetables this week so it's a fine time to start.

3. Thanks marshypops! Glad to hear from a gardener that I'm not completely mad for trying to do this now!

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I know it's February but the days are getting longer so there is more light (one requirement), the second requirement (heat) you'll be providing, so it should be fine. I'd be more concerned if it was November.
    Another seed to try would be some form of lettuce.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Radishes are good, the kids like the fact that they're not just leaves.
    Mung beans too which can bought in packets of 500g for about a &pound;1 so are really cheap. Soak the beans overnight then keep them in a jar with a gauze or pierced clingfilm lid, fill with water and empty twice a day. In a couple of days they will have sprouted and can be planted easily by small fingers as long as they are careful not to damage them.

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Of course! Completely forgot about them.

7. ScienceAndPlants

ScienceAndPlants New commenter

We recommend radishes on the Science & Plants for Schools website - if you've got any film cannisters handy, you can grow them in those (Boots will give them out to teachers). Here are our instructions - http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/worksheets/ssheets/ssheet9.htm
    If you let the plants grow into actual radishes, you can make 'radograms', which are good fun:
    http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/docs/p4pp/lp/snipradish.pdf

8. Hi All,

I am definetely not a teacher but work in the field of plant genetics at an university Lab. Have you heard of Arabidopsis? small life cycle and the genome has been sequenced hence why we use it as a our model plant in our research. You can obtain the seeds from the Nottingham Stock centre for the wild type variety. Arabidopsis is a type of cress.

Alternatively, you can use some normal seeds and germinate on sugar/ agar plates. this will give boost to growth with the extra vitamins and nutrients and then small seedlings can be transfer to soil.

I hope this helpful.

9. Thanks so much everyone. It has been a great help.
    What would we do without the TES eh?
    Sally