1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

quick check, painkillers in combination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by suz3, Feb 19, 2011.

1. you can take paracetemol alternately with aspirin or ibuprofen,yes?
    It's aspirin and ibuprofen you can't take together?
    (checking labels on cold remedies.......)

2. When I had mumps I was taking paracetamol, ibuprofen, diclofenac (sp?) and tramadol.
    I'm sure you'll be fine with just the paracetamol and ibuprofen!

3. Yes, you can take paracetemol and either aspirin or ibruprofen and not the latter together.

4. Thanks

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Yes paracetamol and ibruprofen/ aspirin.

6. I didn't think that ibuprofen and diclofenac combined was advisible. I was under the assumption that they were both from the same 'family' of drugs. If not...I wish I'd taken both of them when I had a slipped disc!!!

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I've been prescribed ibuprofen and diclofenac together.

8. That's good to know Mandala. Fingers crossed I never have to combine them in the future[​IMG]

9. They were all prescribed by the hospital to combat the agony that I was in. They didn't work all too well but I was in a very happy (yet painful) place for a few weeks!

10. paracetamol+ibuprofen
    paracetamol+aspirin
    paracetamol+diclofenac
    NOT ibuprofen+diclofenac = this can cause huge stomach bleeds from nowhere...

11. That's what I had always believed until reading this thread. Both are antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).

12. It really is a big no-no.... especially given that most doses of diclofenac are far stronger/longer lasting.....

13. mandala1

It isn't obviously THAT big a no-no. You can buy diclofenac OTC now. It depends entirely on the dosage. I'm not a big fan of dr, but do trust them to make correct decisions regarding appropriate drugs.

14. mandala1

I am working on the presumption that no-one would take painkillers they are not clear about on the advice of non-medically trained Tessers. Speak to a doctor or pharmacist.

15. You can buy OTC but a very low dose - 12.5mg compared to usually a dose of 50mg on prescription (minimum I've ever known but think they do multiples of 25mg)....
    BUT the OP should consult pharmacist/doctor...

16. Can't be that much of a no no when mine were prescribed together.

17. mandala1

Perhaps we have more hard-core stomachs.

18. You probably do[​IMG]
    I had a horrible experience with Voltarol (aka Diclofenac) a few years ago which suggests that my stomach is a wimp[​IMG]

19. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

It's definitely a no no. Don't always trust doctors to prescribe the correct dosage or combination....I have seen some shocking mistakes in the past [​IMG]

20. Aha, I have had Voltarol in the past, many ywars ago when my back froze. Hadn't heard of Diclofenac.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I went with the paracetemol (in the flu remedy) and the iboprofen. I slept really well and feel miles better today.