1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick bit of job advice/opinion

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RJR_38, Mar 5, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm currently in the (fun?!) process of applying for new jobs quite a distance away. I've just received the standard application form for one of the boroughs for a job I am REALLY interested in. The application form is joined together like a printed booklet (all in colour etc - very posh looking) and the space for your statement of application is a 2 page spread with printed lines. It looks as if it is designed to be hand-written on. My dilemma is that I always feel handwritten statements don't look as professional and I much prefer to type. Would it be acceptable to stick on my typed statement do you think or should I copy it all out by hand? In my current LA the space on the form was so small you were always expected to write 'see attached sheet' so typing wasn't an issue but this doesn't feel right on this form...
    What should I do?

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm currently in the (fun?!) process of applying for new jobs quite a distance away. I've just received the standard application form for one of the boroughs for a job I am REALLY interested in. The application form is joined together like a printed booklet (all in colour etc - very posh looking) and the space for your statement of application is a 2 page spread with printed lines. It looks as if it is designed to be hand-written on. My dilemma is that I always feel handwritten statements don't look as professional and I much prefer to type. Would it be acceptable to stick on my typed statement do you think or should I copy it all out by hand? In my current LA the space on the form was so small you were always expected to write 'see attached sheet' so typing wasn't an issue but this doesn't feel right on this form...
    What should I do?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Hand writing looks like you've put more personal effort in... I'd write it on the computer to spell check (and so you have a copy to know what you've said!) and then copy it out by hand. Although others may have a better idea.
    Good luck x

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I've already got it on the computer - spent the afternoon writing it! I'm just concerned hand writing it doesn't look very professional nowadays. My natural handwriting really isn't the best :( I could write it out in my 'school writing' but how patronising would that look when it is a management position I am going for? Aaaah why is something so simple so complicated!!

5. I imagine it would be OK to write "See attached sheet" but given there IS space to write, perhaps part of the selection of applicants for interview process (you never know!) is in how you manage that space and how legible your handwriting is.
    In this day and age I doubt very much that there are many jobs which require the post holder to have good hand-writing, but that there pesky form could be part of a test. [​IMG]
    The test could simply be that the interviewing panel want all the info they need contained in one booklet and that anyone who adds to it is a bloody nuisance...LOL. Who knows? [​IMG]
    I think doing the trial run...typing your response and then copying it by hand, (if your handwriting IS neat and legible) is a good idea.

6. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Maybe I could trim and glue on my typed pages?? Or would that look tacky?

7. No, if you are going to add typed pages, add them as a separate document. Place your typed pages with the booklet into a binder.
    Don't glue them in - I think they are wanting you to handwrite (which is just plain daft) but if you really don't want to do that, then I would advise making a "booklet" out of the whole thing, i.e. add your printed sheets behind the booklet and put them all into one binder.

8. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

If it is for a job that involves teaching then I think handwriting is very relevant and spelling too so I can see why people want to be able to see you are confident in these areas. I am surprised people seem to think differently.
    I think sticking in the pages is not advisable as it would be hard to make it look professional.

9. Handwriting - I suppose to see if you can write and it can be decyphered.
    It is no check of spelling if you have prepared first on a WP and used a spell-checker.
    The reason I think handwritten CVs and application forms is daft is because of the number of people who apply for jobs - I cannot remember the last time I even applied for a job via postal route. All pdfs and online.

10. Yeah, I'd handwrite, but also include a typed one if your handwriting is spidery, so that people don't spend ages reading it.

11. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Fill your form in by hand and put your supporting statement in your covering letter. Then write 'please see covering letter' in your best handwriting on the form. Put your letter on the top of the form. They've got an example of your handwriting, and an easy to read and professional looking letter demonstrating your ability to blend statement with letter. Boxes ticked.
    Hope that helps - really, though, try not to read too much into it, I expect the reality of the situation is that it's a standard form designed by HR people!

12. If it causes you so much concern, I'd go with Buntycat's suggestion, and do both. Fill it in by hand in case they do specifically want it all in one document or need to see your handwriting, and write normally (and as neatly as possible, obviously). But also include the typed version.
    I agree pasting the typed into the booklet is a bad idea.

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks for everyone's opinion - handwriting it is then (urgh). My handwriting isn't that bad as such I just don't think it looks as good as typed but hey ho! That will be a nice job for tomorrow....

14. Ring and ask them

15. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Lol thanks for the thought leatherpatches but how silly would I look asking how to fill a form in when I'm meant to be applying for a fairly high up job in the school? Everyone else was right - common sense should prevail. I have handwritten it and will slip in a typed copy as well should they prefer it. Should keep them all happy then!

16. I don't think it looks silly at all to ring up and ask a question!

17. It was a serious suggestion. I've been involved in several senior appointments and I wouldn't have minded at all- I'd have been happy to see someone with enough sense and confidence to ring and ask if they weren't sure.