1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick... before the GTC dies!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Zadok1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I know some people moan about the GTC on here but I just found out something pretty cool today. I can make a complaint about my former line manager. I'm not going to go into too much detail here but I tried to bring a grievance against her and ... well lets just say there's a tribunal on the way. The thing is that my local authority refused to hear the grievance... and before anyone tells me they can't do that... I know but they did. Anyhow I was chatting with someone at the GTC today and I asked her about whether I could raise a formal complaint through them... and they're sending me the paperwork! I think they have damaged my career beyond any form of realistic repair and I'm going to have my day by whatever means I can! LOL!

2. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I know some people moan about the GTC on here but I just found out something pretty cool today. I can make a complaint about my former line manager. I'm not going to go into too much detail here but I tried to bring a grievance against her and ... well lets just say there's a tribunal on the way. The thing is that my local authority refused to hear the grievance... and before anyone tells me they can't do that... I know but they did. Anyhow I was chatting with someone at the GTC today and I asked her about whether I could raise a formal complaint through them... and they're sending me the paperwork! I think they have damaged my career beyond any form of realistic repair and I'm going to have my day by whatever means I can! LOL!

3. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Oooh! Brilliant [​IMG]
    Wish I could do that - but my 'situation' happened about 6 years ago [​IMG]
    I wish you well - let us know how you get on.
    x

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

It has always been possible for individuals to refer teachers to the GTC for misconduct, though they are always expected to have exhausted local procedures first. I wish you well with your referral, but don't get your hopes up.
    I referred my corrupt Headteacher to the GTC, whistle-blowing a number of very serious allegations. The employer's legal department put pressure on the GTC to drop the case, which it did. The GTC breached its own investigation protocols to do so. That Head has since been sacked, but no thanks to the GTC. Employers wish to avoid the embarassment of criticism that a direct referral can bring and the GTC is willing to listen to them.
    I have raised the issue of bias and influence with my MP. We are putting pressure on Michael Gove to ensure that the new regulator (the 'Teaching Agency'), which will come into effect from April 2012 is 'strong and independent' and unable to be influenced by actions by employers.