1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quick advice re: planning!

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Monty1983, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Monty1983

Monty1983 Occasional commenter

Just curious. Someone I know has recently been through an inspection. They came in as a one day and then it became two. They asked a Year Two teacher for their planning (apparently) and went through books at great length.

My question is this- As a teacher who often deviates from plans (and shock horror, doesn't always print them off the computer) and someone who adapts as I go along as the needs of the pupils change, should OFSTED come in, would they expect to see my planning and if so for how long historically? Currently, our mid year results are good and we were previously a good school before I came. As I'm covering a maternity post, I'd like to be prepared and if they did expect to see my planning, I'd like to get it all printed off ready. Does anyone know if that is necessary? Many thanks.

2. Monty1983

I did find something saying that OFSTED don't expect to see planning, which is why I wondered whether this was normal?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...september-2015/ofsted-inspections-mythbusting
    says:
    Ofsted does not require schools to provide individual lesson plans to inspectors. Equally, Ofsted does not require schools to provide previous lesson plans.
    Ofsted does not specify how planning should be set out, the length of time it should take or the amount of detail it should contain. Inspectors are interested in the effectiveness of planning rather than the form it takes.

Monty1983 likes this.
  4. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

It is still good practice to hand them a lesson plan as they come through the door no matter what the guidance says. If the lesson goes in a different direction so be it. If they have time to hang around you can always show them more in the way of medium and long term planning.

Monty1983 likes this.
  5. Monty1983

Thanks for your replies. I will make sure I have my plans printed off and continue to print them and scribble week by week from now on, just incase. I guess my question was, should I spend time printing off my plans from previous weeks just incase they wish to see what I have been doing previous to the session they see and the answer is, for my own piece of mind, I probably should. It won't take too long and will make me feel better and more confident over all if they do come knocking. Thanks!

6. Monty1983

Thank you for your reassuring answer. I will make sure I have my medium term and long term plans available and some weekly plans too, just for my own piece of mind. Thanks again.

7. Monty1983

This is what I thought, I wonder why, in this school, the teacher was asked to provide their planning? Possibly based on book scrutiny or even at the behest of the school themselves? Curious!

8. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

If things are going well, then no plans are requested (if the team is going by the much publicised 'myth busting' doc).

However, if they think some of the teaching isn't up to scratch they could well want to find out why. This could lead to a enquiry about planning. Not always, but possible.
    They should not routinely ask for lesson plans.