1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

questions to head

Discussion in 'Governors' started by jojoclarkson, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jojoclarkson

jojoclarkson New commenter

Should individual governors repeatedly e mail head privately with questions rather than raising them in committee or full gb meetings?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

No. An occasional query might get a response but this is not correct procedure.

3. jojoclarkson

jojoclarkson New commenter

Thanks - do you know where to find official guidance on this - I feel I may need to refer to it at some point

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

This is happening to me too.
    The governors code of conduct says that governors cannot act as individuals but must work as a whole governing body.
    I replied to one of the emails saying I would put the item on the agenda at our next meeting.

5. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Speak to the Chair. They need to have a word about protocols and procedures.

6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

As governors today tend to be recruited on the basis of their skills it is becoming more likely a governor will want an item on the agenda that other governors will not fully comprehend. I have promoted a more formal approach to project control, disaster recovery, critical assessment and IT strategy planning with no success. I write reports and make recommendations to the head who responds that they are too busy and refer instead to a local supplier who has a vested interest in selling their wares.

7. neddyfonk

8. neddyfonk

There is no 'correct procedure' . To avoid conflict you drop the question or the chair advises you it is 'not appropriate' via whatever means they think will prevent an embarrassing challenge to the head.

9. digoryvenn

There is a correct procedure. Governors cannot act individually but must act as a collective. The governors code of conduct sets out the correct procedure.

10. neddyfonk

11. neddyfonk

The head is usually also a governor. Many heads make decisions and take actions which should have been agreed by the governing body but do not.

12. digoryvenn

Such as?