1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions to ask when visiting a school

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by helloteaching2019, Feb 8, 2020.

1. helloteaching2019

helloteaching2019 New commenter

Hello

sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place, I’m currently doing my School Direct PGCE and I’m visiting a school on Tuesday as they have a job going I would potentially like to apply for.

Could anyone advise me on what questions to ask?? I would like to know about their pp and SEN numbers but otherwise I don’t know what to ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Pp and SEN numbers should be available on their website, could be under the school improvement plan. Make sure you've read their ofsted report.

Ask about schemes that they follow, how they teach reading, what is behaviour generally like, what opportunities for cpd are there, are the TAs full time.

As you walk around the school, the questions will come naturally. Just don't ask anything that should have been answered by your initial research on the school website.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

BEWARE!

Do not think up of questions that you should ask, just to seem keen, nor questions to ask to show that you are interested.

You should only ask questions that you actually need to know, cannot find the information elsewhere, and cannot proceed without the application if not.

@celago22 has some good ideas, really good, but only if they are relevant to you. We actually don´t want people asking asking asking all the time just for the sake of asking, trying to get their voice heard above other applicants there, trying to stand out and be memorable. You may well turn out to be memorable for the wrong reason! A quiet, contemplative persona is good, you know, observing and thinking.

Yes, but don´t drag it in, either now or at an interview. One of the worst questions to ask at an interview is Can you tell me how you have improved X that was highlighted as a problem area in your Ofsted Report?

No, it doesn't show us that you are on the ball, it shows us that you are a pompous p, I mean pompous person we probably don't want in our staffroom. ;)

For help with application or interview preparation, you might want to have a quick search on Amazon for any books to download about Applying for a Teaching Job, to get tips and full advice and suggestions.

But be careful!

Don't select anything American (you are not applying for a job in Chicago) nor anything about interviews in general (you are not applying for a job in John Lewis). Applying for a teaching job, in UK, is what you need, or indeed one about Interview for a teaching job.

And don't choose an interview book that gives you the answers to interview questions - if another candidate has read that book, imagine what could happen!

Check out the reviews of the possibles to help you decide which is best for you. One with loads of 5 star reviews has probably been helpful to other teachers.

You can download many Amazon books directly to a Kindle, or to a phone, tablet or computer with the free Kindle App, and start reading straight away.

Best of luck!