1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions to ask on a pre interview school visit

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Simple answer no! Use it as a fact-finding mission; to see how the school runs and whether you could visualise yourself fitting in there.
    Usually you're shown round in groups and if you are 'noticed', it's probably for the wrong reason- trying to be too clever or to stand out. This is not the arena for that- the interview is!
    Obviously, smartly dressed, best behaviour etc, becasue they will be making observations about people.

2. Thanks Lara, takes the pressure off.
    I will feel a bit silly looking round as I did look around it fairly recently (my daughter may go there when she is older). Also I volunteer at the infant school next door. I still thought I should have a look though as I would be viewing it with different eyes and I assume they log who attends.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes they normally do, and some schools, very unfairly in my view, are prejudiced against those who cannot visit.
    This is not the time to try and impress. More people "impress" themselves out of the job at that stage than you realise - no-one likes the show-off who is trying to hog the limelight.
    So just be neat and tidy, friendly, smile, and look very interested without pushing yourself forward.
    Do make sure that you give yourself the best possible chance by reading the advice. A summary is can be found here in this thread:
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. guestiee

guestiee New commenter

Hi all,

Is it a good/bad idea to write down notes on your visit around school before application? Would this show you to be conscientious or seem rude writing things down while someone is chatting? I don't want to forget anything, but equally I don't want to be off-putting.

Thanks

5. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Think the best thing is to note it all as soon as possible after the visit. With some planned space and time you will remember quite a lot.

6. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

If it's really your dream school then yes it May be worth paying a visit. But does it get you ahead in the game? The answer is no. I've been on 3 visits to schools and a lot of good it did me!