1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions to ask new school

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by bumblebee14, Jun 30, 2019.

1. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 New commenter

Hello, I’m going into my new school next week and wondering what questions I should ask?
    So far I’ve thought about:
    Do you use any schemes of work?
    PPA time and how is that covered?
    Which children work well/not so well together?
    Topics for the year?
    Who is my mentor?

I’m sure I’ll think of lots when I’m there but I want to go prepared so I don’t forget anything important!

Thank you!

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Actually there's only one question to ponder
    "Who can I ask silly questions of?"

The answer to that is to have a mix of staff who won't mind being occasionally bothered and no one person will realise that you are totally clueless. So you need to befriend a lot of people and use networking skills to the max.

I sound far too flippant here but as i do long-term supply I'm constantly following this advice and don't hesitate to bother lots of people at my latest 'new' school.

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I think the key to surviving in a new school is organisation. Get your routines set up and don’t deviate from that for the rest of the year. If they have given you a timetable you could ask about the following:

Marking policy - work out when you need to mark student books. My advice is little and often
    Homework policy - again, work out when you will have marking to do. And never set a homework when you don't have time to mark it.
    Resources - really important, because you will not have time to plan everything. Don't re-invent the wheel, but by God, set out to improve it. Take what they have and see if you can suit it to your style, and concentrate on differentiation, not writing whats already there.

Tea and coffee - how does this work in the staff room?

Is there anything you'd really like me to be doing over the summer? - with luck your school will just say 'nuttin', chill to the bone ma'an' but they may say 'actually, could you look at X in the scheme of work, or could you do the legwork for a trip. Sounds a bit slimey, but there's a greasy pole and its time to start climbing.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

For most of my career I was sliding down it!

1 person likes this.
  5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Spent most of mine trying to stop it being shoved somewhere...

Shedman likes this.