1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions to ask during a school visit?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jode211, Nov 7, 2016.

1. jode211

jode211 New commenter

I've seen a few posts on here suggesting that asking too many questions can be detrimental to a job application, however if I'm on a walk around with many others surely asking questions is a good way to make yourself stand out?

If questions are not recommended, is there any particular advice to put myself across in a likeable and memorable way... without being an irritating suck up?!

Many thanks!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We often had this discussion on Jobseekers and advice from Heads was; only ask questions to which you genuinely want to know the answer and could not have found the answer by looking at the website or doing a bit of research.

Too often people found they wanted to 'stand out' and found that they could do so 'for all the wrong reasons.

Remember interviews and visits are a two way process for you to find out about the school and see if it's the type of place where you feel you'd fit in and make a contribution. So a chance for the School to 'sell itself', not for people to stand out from the crowd.

The place for 'standing out and impressing' is at the interview stage.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If there's something 'extra' you could contribute, ask about it.
    People have different views about visits-one of my HODs got annoyed when people asked to visit, saying 'what do they expect to see/learn on a visit that they wouldn't get on interview day?'
    But it seems popular in primary. And, just maybe, if there's something you forgot to put on your application, you could get yourself into the frame by asking on a visit.

4. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

When on a school visit with others, the temptation to stand out is strong.

However, the visit is a way for you to get a sense of the school, determine whether it's the right place for you and to gain any relevant insights about the role being considered. So ask questions that you genuinely want the answers to (and which you were unable to glean from prior research about the school / role) and which will then help to inform your view about the school / role.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I've said this before but...

You can't get a job from a tour of the school but you can lose one!

As stated, ask questions to which you genuinely want the answers- you should have done some research beforehand by looking at the school website, Ofsted report etc anyway. Questions to which the answers are clearly in these places are irritating also!!

cornflake and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

(Italics are mine.)Prospective candidates please make a mental note.