1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions?...that we ask?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by dollydaydream22, Aug 22, 2007.

1. my TA'S have asked for a list of questions, which they can ask the children and would like them diplayed in some of the areas of the unit. We are thinking open ended questions "tell me about?.....", "how could you?... etc etc...before i rack my brains...does anyone have a list already or know where i can look?

My e-mail address is dollydd22@hotmail.com - thanks

2. if no-one has anything like this could we start a thread of them?..i did visit a day nursery with lots of questions to jog minds...should have photographed them!
    here goes...

how could you...?
    tell me about...?
    do you think...?
    how does it ..feel/sound/taste/?

help guys!

3. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

What would you like to find out about?
    What could you use for..?
    What makes you say that?
    What happens if we...?

4. brian beginning to work
    why does this? ..move/spin/splash
    or maybe easier for given areas

creative

what happens if we mix these?
    tell me about your ...?
    how have you made...?
    whay have you used...?

constuction
    how can you build a..?
    how can you change...?

and some more ( not open ended)
    how many bricks are here...
    which is longer...
    who has the biggest...

5. hahahha..just re -read the above...who is 'brian'...sounds like i have a little man working here for me...course i meant ( believe it or not)brain!!!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Questions
    What will happen if?
    Do you know how?
    Why?
    Where?
    What can you?..?
    Tell me???
    Do you know??
    How ??
    I wonder?
    Look what happens if?.
    How many?
    What comes after/before?
    Give me a number that is one more than/less than?
    Describe?.?
    I wonder what happens if?
    What can you?
    If I make one like yours ? how many will we have?
    Can you make?
    Why has that happened?
    Roll it longer/shorter
    How did..?
    What did?
    How can?
    I wonder if?
    I wonder what?
    How could you?
    Have you tried?
    Why/what do you like/dislike?

We display our key questions and vocabulary on our continuous provision sheets in each area they are useful for students and parent helpers.

7. Another good website
    Example open-ended questions for preschoolers?
    Question:

Answers:
    what will u do if u forget your school bag/lunch?
    how many ways u can use your hat/tie/umbrella/dustbin/plate...
    what will you do if it rains gold?
    what will you do if a lion comes inside the room?
    how will u manage to go home if u miss the school bus?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    About any question that startes with "WHAT" that way they have to give an answer besides yes or no.
    ie: What did the mouse ask for when he gave him a cookie? A glass of milk.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An open ended question has no specific answer. Ask open ended questions which require more than a yes or no answer from the kids that age like, how do you feel about this or what did you think about this, simple what do you think, rather than did you like this.

When thinking of open ended questions, think about the response that you want to get from the child, if you just want a yes or no, with preschoolers, open ended questions can get any type of answer.
    Open ended questions make a preschooler use logic to come to a conclusion.

I love using open ended questions during literacy time. For instance, when reading a book, stop and ask, "Hmmmm, what do you think will happen next??", or "I thought this book was great, what did you think and why??" Have them look at pictures on the cover and in the book and do a picture prompt, "What do you think this story will be about"

Always try to bring out more than a yes or no. Ask why.

This article contents is post by this website user, EduQnA.com doesn't promise its accuracy.

8. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

nursery world had some FS posters with questions to ask in each area, also resources to have.........I am sure you can still purchase these

9. thanks to those who have supplied questions - i have made some of them into a separate A4 cards which can be displayed on the wall in various areas or even (if 2 copies are printed off)..mounted back to back and hung up... you can also add more questions yourselves...if any of you would like a copy -please e-mail me
    dollydd22@hotmail.co.uk

and i will forward..thanks again..hope it may be of use.

10. Could I have a copy to please, this has been on my 'to do list' for the last year and still not done it other things seem to take priority!! many., many thanks:
    Elizabethclairehill@hotmail.com

11. please can you e-mail me...it is much easier to send the information on this way...also those poeple i have already e-mailed...can you let me know if the resources have arrived..i am aware that another e-mail sent did not arrive and hope the same hasn't happened to others

12. all sorted - thanks for your replies...at least i know it is working!!!

13. I am in the process of we writing my conntinuous provision plans and wanted to add questions to ask for each area.... if I could get a copy too that would be great, thanks hayley@kpmitchell.co.uk