1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions that kids ask in lessons that really show the sign of the times........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Feb 19, 2016.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I kid you not, I had this:-

'What's Concorde?'

How sad that kids are now unaware of such a marvel of engineering in an aviation industry where one could argue technology has regressed...........

Dragonlady30 and lanokia like this.
  2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

When my 45 year old was in primary school, his teacher made the children all stand up and salute every time Concorde flew over. And my 56 year old brother got the cane at school for hopping the wag to go to watch its inaugural take off from Heath Row. Those were the days. I miss it; it was so elegant.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

"Where's DerryAughrim?"

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

"What's a CD Rom?"

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

What was it like living in the 20th Century? (From my grandson)

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They'll soon be asking, "What is a book?"

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

When a whiteboard was being removed in a classroom, revealing what was behind:
    "Is that a blackboard?"

My 9 year old was reading over my shoulder, and echoed the concorde question, but it turned out that she thought it was an aeroplane, so she isn't completely ignorant.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

"What is 'The Beatles'?"

9. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Who is David Bowie? a youngster from yr 9. To be fair it was last year so the media coverage of his death had not happened.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I'm actually surprised that many of know and like some of the old bands. Still top favourites are; Nirvana, Guns n Roses and Black Sabbath. Kids seem genuinely surprised when they find out these bands were around before they were born.

No one talks about ABBA or any of that 80s new romantics drivel though.

11. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I asked kids in a music lesson why the early rock'n'roll songs only lasted 2 and a half minutes or so.
    A kid responded with "Did they not have enough megabytes in those days?" :)

Lara mfl 05, RedQuilt and les25paul like this.
  12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

What's a floppy disc?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

What's a video? (I kid you not!!) :eek:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

My screensaver on my school pc came on and the kids were fascinated. You could have heard a pin drop while they sat and watched the time bump around on the screen (I think the school runs windows vista)

I didn't get it at all, I just stopped using screen savers on my laptop and didn't really realise that they'd pretty much become non-existent.

But sure enough they explained to me that their ipads, tablets and phones do not have screen savers.

I once played them the dial-up connection noise, that sparked a lot of curiosity. "So you had to disconnect the internet to make a phonecall?".... yep