1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions I'd like to ask at interview, but...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by singingzebra, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Here is a sample of the kinds of questions I would like to ask about a school when it's my turn:
    * How would you characterise the relationship between the owner/board etc and the teachers/school?
    * How does the management team respond to teacher initiatives?
    * How open is the school to change and new developments?
    * How open is your door?
    * How would you characterise the atmosphere in the staff room?

If I ask these types of questions, will they appreciate my honesty, or cross me off the shortlist?

2. Here is a sample of the kinds of questions I would like to ask about a school when it's my turn:
    * How would you characterise the relationship between the owner/board etc and the teachers/school?
    * How does the management team respond to teacher initiatives?
    * How open is the school to change and new developments?
    * How open is your door?
    * How would you characterise the atmosphere in the staff room?

If I ask these types of questions, will they appreciate my honesty, or cross me off the shortlist?

3. The problem I see with your first question is that, most Principals/Owners will say they have a solid/good relationships with their teachers so its a rather unnecessary question. I cant see under any circumstances whereby they will claim the school has poor relationships between teachers/SMT even if this is not true.

I like questions 2 and 3 as they are showing your willingness to bring new ideas to the school.

Question 4. Hmm. I think this is a risky question. It is sending a signal that your going to be asking them for help from time to time or complain about colleagues? Then even if they say, 'sure my door is always open' there is no way you know this will be true.

Question 5 is fine i think. But their answer may not be accurate.

---

For one interview i attended a few years ago for a College, i asked,
    How many of the students progress onto University? I was told, 100%. When i arrived at the school, it was like a Zoo. There was absolutely no way that 100% of the students progressed onto University. (I had initially tried to do research on the school, but their website was being 're-developed' and i found no direct information about the school, other than basics) I choose not to renew my contract. So naturally i am a little suspicious of Principals 'selling' their school. But maybe thats just me.

Interesting topic though. Hopefully some wise old heads will offer their insight.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

So I guess I asking,"So are all of those nasty things that are being said about you on ISR true?", would be a non-starter.
    Unfortunately, many of the questions that truly get to the heart of whether you wish to go to a school may either be looked upon with negativity and suspicion or will not be answered truthfully (e.g. staff turnover rates, disciplinary issues/procedures, pay on time etc). It's a delicate and risky business at times.

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Some questions will be directly related to where the school is located.
    For example:
    1) "How do you tell if it's a ladyboy or not? (Thailand)
    2) "How much do I water the industrial alcohol down by to make it safe to drink?" (Kuwait)
    3)"What's the name of that gorgeous fat bloke who sits at the outside bar at the ACE Club?" (Egypt)
    4) "Why is it always the blokes from Cairo that ruin serious threads?" (also Egypt)
    I'm sure you can think of others

6. Thanks BFG - reminds that I need to keep a sense of humour about the whole ugly business. Of course, its always true that people may not answer the questions truthfully sometimes you wonder why you bothered to ask, its so painfully obvious that the recruiter is dodging the truth - though I daresay they feel the same way about many of the people who turn up for interview! I thought of another:
    * How do you ensure that staff morale stays high?

Come on SMTdude and others...give us your thoughts!