1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions for teachers of Textiles

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Textileliz, Feb 2, 2012.

1. To answer your questions contact DATA they are running a GCSE Textile rescue programme which I would highly recommend.
    Regarding controlled assessment, I have set tight deadlines for my students and they have a final deadline for February half term. The students should not be working on their folders at home. Offer aftrschool sessions for students who are absent. My current year 11 group have 3 x 1 hour lessons a week. I follow the OCR syllabus and they completed one unit from Easter to the Summer while in year 10 and the second unit in September of year 11. I have taken into consideration time lost for external exams and work experience. Once students start controlled assessment, one lesson a week is on exam prepation and revision and is linked to their coursework.
    Limit the number of tasks you offer to your students, this will reduce your stress.

2. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Hello Textileliz, I appreciated tremendously your reply. I find it amazing that your students only need to work the time you say; I will contact DATA asap to see if there are strategies that we can put in place.

Enjoy the rest of your Friday!

3. We only have food now but textiles was run in the same way - 5 x 1 hour lessons a forthnight ( a doube every week)
    In year 10 three controlled assessments over three terms - all work done in class, research done at home, finished by May half term y10.
    End of y10 we start final folder. We break it down into units - with each one having a deadline, folders stay in school & at most they might be working on 1 or 2 pages at home. We offer one session after school per week from Sep y11 to Feb y11 to help/ assist / catch-up
    All folders in by Feb half term & then start final revision prog (in fact I make deadline 2 weeks prior to that so I have a week to mop up - out of 44 students I have one on the hit list for Monday)
    We found it did drag before breaking it into very clearly defined units with deadlines set in advance for all to know. It also helps to have the odd week off coursework & do core work - but there are always other subjects / mocks etc taking kids out of lesson time
    We have also changed to an exercise book for "core & written exam work" & a loose leaf folders for anything to do with coursework . Found it has made it clearer for students

4. thequillguy

Thanks Jillyo. I wonder why our students are investing so much 'extra' time in their textiles? And I wonder if the work could be divided into more manageable sections for students, rather than relying on KS4 students to prioritise work? (which, I think, many professionals find the trickiest part of their job!) Will investigate, after building a small snowman.

5. Which board are you doing? I do OCR as i think it hard to sustain a 45 hour project like AQA but sometimes think we are doing 2 full length projects! Went for training 3 years ago but do now wonder if my concern to tick all the boxes is making me ask too much of the students as they work most of the time, but we find there simply isn't enough tie to do all that appears to be asked of us. Also facilities mean that they have to wai tto get on machines, ask for things and then there are the dreaded photos asked as evidence as thy make which adds another headache as I seem to be forever trying to print them off for th groups.
    Under the guidence they can research at home but should not be doing hours at home. We hve to be able to say it is ALL their own work! a friend at another school is having a real nightmare as her students have missed many more lessons through no fault of her own and then school simply seem to think she is meant to put on extra sessions after school etc and the darlings haven't come to these anyway as they have other catch up sessios to go to.

6. thequillguy

While I'm not a textiles teacher, I do recognise the issues of getting students through the course, not least when their attention is demanded so much elsewhere. I am also aware that students saying they work for hours a day may be exaggerating too (as, perhaps, we all do!) But it would be good to see how you find it with OCR - will find out board tomorrow.

7. What area of UK are you in? The thing I so miss is the opportunity to meet other textiles/D&T teachers as I am the only textiles teacher in my school. I know people say moderate to be able to see what others do but I reallydo not want the extra work that would involove.

8. With reference to the photos in particular - can I make a suggestion. I have always included photos of them doing practical and have always taken pictures or get one of them to wander round and do it periodically I then upload them to our shared area on the network. students then access their own when they have finished making and are finallising the production plan. I do this for GCSE AS and A'level. takes a while to upload but have found this year that its quicker to have a folder for each student that I put them in.
    Time organisation - regarding the time that coursework takes. Before controlled assessment our students used to spend ages and wanted to re-do pages all the time. I never encoraged that but just say a flat no now.
    We start at Easter and finish in early March. we have 3 x 50min lessons a week a single and a double. All theory is covered in year 10 so that during coursework they only really do that. Research is allowed to be done at home, everything else in school. They miss loads of lessons due to other activities and exams so we do offer some after school time especially for making. We always have some students who don't keep up usually because they are not focussed in lessons or miss lots of time. they are encouraged to come back at lunchtime or after school to catch up, but its not everyone and its not every night or even week. I do offer a day at half term for making as this speeds along the final stages and makes up for all the time missed. ( we have parents evenings during the afternoon as well as all sorts of other things). We alos have DT day for making which is when they usually start - helps with cutting out cos that can often take 3-4hrs on its own!!. We are very lucky with equipment - I have 12 machines and 4 overlockers + 4 embroidery machines.(I am also a very good mechanic!!) We use pattern making software and I get them to include CAD in their folder as well. We do Edexcel. I mke sure the development section is very good and that way the malking is much easier for them as they know what to do. Our projects are very clothing focussed because it leads into A'level better. we have about 30-40 students eaach year and about 12-15 in AS and A2
    I am based in Hertfordshire (not far from Harlow) any visitors very welcome.

9. also meant to say I have a set of deadlines and charts on the wall outlining who has completed what (Excel spreadsheet!!) I do this for all exam groups. they get quite competitive about it and it works. they meet deadlines on the whole though some are obviously better than others. definitely got to teach them to manage the time and work to deadlines - that's one of the key skills that DT teaches students.