1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Questions for English Teachers

Discussion in 'English' started by CrunchyMcFlurry, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hi all, just wondering if anybody could give me a couple of tips regarding an interview of PGCE secondary English. I have heard some of the questions and I'm trying to plan answers to them so that I don't go blank but I'm struggling a bit to come up with detailed ideas.

One of the questions is how would you teach a Shakespeare play to an A Level class. I'm using examples of Hamlet and King Lear because I've read them closely and feel like I know them well. What kind of techniques do you all find useful for teaching Shakespeare to a high level class I'm assuming it would be. To me it seems logical to go through the play chronologically and I'd like to do a lesson on historical context before I even started reading the play with them. Would I look at key themes and pick out particular scenes or go through the whole play with them? I'd also like to show them a performance even if it was just a video copy because I personally feel that would be useful. Any advice would be great.

2. Hi all, just wondering if anybody could give me a couple of tips regarding an interview of PGCE secondary English. I have heard some of the questions and I'm trying to plan answers to them so that I don't go blank but I'm struggling a bit to come up with detailed ideas.

One of the questions is how would you teach a Shakespeare play to an A Level class. I'm using examples of Hamlet and King Lear because I've read them closely and feel like I know them well. What kind of techniques do you all find useful for teaching Shakespeare to a high level class I'm assuming it would be. To me it seems logical to go through the play chronologically and I'd like to do a lesson on historical context before I even started reading the play with them. Would I look at key themes and pick out particular scenes or go through the whole play with them? I'd also like to show them a performance even if it was just a video copy because I personally feel that would be useful. Any advice would be great.

3. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

You'd be more likely to go through the whole play with an A level class, perhaps identifying key themes as you go and then asking students to relate back to the themes. To be honest, most A Level Lit teaching does involve trudging through the text page by page - at least, with Shakespeare. I'd definitely do historical context and authorial research before teaching, and yes supplement with a performance on DVD and/or theatre.
    I can't remember much about my PGCE interview but I expect they'll ask you more questions about your suitability, what you're interested in, where you could make a difference, how you'd deal with difficult and challenging behaviour, etc. You're asking them to train you to teach so they shouldn't ask you too many questions about how you're teach X Y or Z.
    Good luck!

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I always go for perormance first - on the priniciple that Shakespeare wrote plays. Ideally I'd go for more than one or pupils get the idea that there is one definitive interpretation - and at least one of those live.
    I am trying to imagine 'trudging' through a Shakespeare play - but I can't. I'm currently teaching 'Richard III' to a very, very low ability Yr 10 group - and they love it. Mind you, we do chant a lot.
    You need to look at context, but not simply historical. Literary, generic, moral, political and a whole raft of other contextual considerations are relavant at A level. Oh - and don't imagine they will all be high level. I've taught A level to pupils who haven't done GCSE Lit or have got rubbish grades when they did.
    If you're going to use 2 plays, don't make them both tragedies. If you aren't confident about the second, just use one - though I'd counsel against 'Hamlet'. And yes, the whole play. You can't get away with specific scenes at A level.